1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Recievers that scale to 1080i/p ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dbeamish, May 19, 2005.

1. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi there.

Whilst there are several receivers that up convert from composite/s-video to component (although to what resolution I do not know?) like the Denon and Yamaha boxes, are there any that not just convert format, but scale the signal too?

thanks
    Dave

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    The Denon AVC-A1XV has built in scaler and can do 480p / 576p / 720p / 1080i outputs.

Time to remortgage the house now.

3. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    hmm.. i doubt that would fit in my house anyway.. plus i think I would probably explode if I spent that much on an amp..

I wonder if the next Denon receivers will have this feature.. anyone know when they are out at all?

Since you have a 2805 - do you use it to upconvert video to component? If so what does it output? 576p?

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I currently dont use it to up convert as all the inputs are via component already (DVD Player, PS2 & NTL box via RGB->component convertor)

As far as I am aware it will leave it in the standard PAL or NTSC resolution (depending on source) and does not de-interlace it. ie feed it 480i via s.video and you will get 480i out via component.

I dont have any insider knowledge on what the long term plans are for the likes of Denon but personally I would have thought it is questionable if future AVRs will have scalers built in due to the advent of HD sources are so close (Sky HD, PS3, XBox360, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray etc) and the number of decent scalers already on the market for those wanting to retain their non-hi def sources..... thinking as a 'normal' consumer... do i want to pay £600 on a new AVR with a built in scaler to 'fake HD' or do I want to pay £200 on a new HD-DVD player and get 'true' HD

5. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    fair enough..

thanks for your comments.

Unrelated.. do you know if it is possible to convert a component lead into an HDMI lead and where I might find this sort of adapter? I'm not sure its possible at the moment as my googling is not proving to be particularly sucessful.

6. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Component is analog, HDMI is digital. There is no easy way to go from one to the other without a bucket load of electronics in between.

7. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    so it would seem. I'm surprised I can't find anything on the net tho.. I would have thought there would have at least been something like a scaler at a reasonable price that did this. Even the iScan products don't seem to have HDMI outputs - just DVI..

8. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    ...but you can get DVI to HDMI convertors. That bit is easy because they are both digital and use the same protocol. Try www.keene.co.uk.

9. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    yeah I've seen a few of them. Keene are a great bunch of peopel too - very helpful.

Problem is if my amp is outputting component RCA I want to add that to a box that can output HDMI twice so I can have a lead going to the TV and a lead goingto a PJ. I've found a box that can do this (has 2+ HDMI inputs and 2 outputs) its just a case of getting the component inputted into that.

and as Astaroth says.. is it worth it if lots of stuff will have HDMI native connections soon..

Plus I hear the xbox 360 is just going to have RCA component leads which is rubbish. I hope the Nintendo has a HDMI on it.

10. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Next Amp due from Denon is the A1XV's smaller brother the A11XV. It doesn't have scaling but does have Analogue to HDMI conversion.

Another Amp with scaling is the Yamaha DSP-Z9.

11. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The Rotel RSX 1067 seems to convert composite and s-video to component. Upscaling is also mentioned in the manual, however, as I don't totally understand this concept, I'm not too sure how you'd find out!

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,594
    Hello all

David - what's so rubbish about having YUY via Analogue vs. YUV or RGB via Digital?

Be aware that not all HDMI enabled Source, Switching, Distribution and Display products are full spec Digital Video + Multi Channel audio; a lot of the kit currently on the market with HDMI sockets is Digital Video only or Digital Video + Stereo audio.

DVI and HDMI are pretty much interchangeable as far as Digital Video is concerned - although you do have to ensure your DVI kit is HDCP compliant if you start with an HDMI source and want to Switch, Distribute, Convert or Display it on/via kit that includes DVI connectors.

Converting Analogue YUV to Digital YUV or RGB can be achieved using a stand alone 'Black Box' device - though with limitations on what Input signal you can use (480P).

Converting Analogue YUV to Digital YUV or RGB can be achieved using the majority of external Video Processors - though your looking at £600+ as these units will include multiple input switching, deinterlacing, colour conversion, scaling etc...

I doubt we'll see Analogue to Digital conversion, deinterlacing or scaling in many entry level AV Receivers for a while yet - and the high price tag units already highlighted have very limited Video Processing compared to even an entry level stand alone Video Processor.

Best regards

Joe