AV Reciever with dual video processing

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by elwe, Mar 13, 2013.

1. elwe

elwe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know a way to supply one HDMI to two TVs using the highest supported video/audio and down-mixing for the lower TV?

I am looking to upgrade my Denon AVR-3802 to something a bit newer. Currently I send analogue video/audio to a little TV in the kitchen and I want to keep this, but HDMI. I was thinking of getting a Denon AVR-3313 for the dual HDMI outputs, plus second zone. However reading around it seems that the 3313 won't down mix video/audio.

Both TVs will be 1080p so that bit is simple (for now) but the reciever will support DTS-MA and I don't think the TV will. I want to be able to play a bluray and have the receiver use DTS-MA in the living room while sending something the kitchen TV understands and can play through inbuilt speakers.

In the future I would like to be able to upgrade the main TV to 4K but the kitchen TV is unlikely to become 4k any time soon so it would be nice to have 4k->1080p down scaling.

Is there a receiver that can do this? Or should I be looking for something else, like an intelligent HDMI splitter that can down mix?

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,956
    No AV receiver will downscale HD video. Video processing is reserved for up conversion. As long as you're not wanting to output to both HDMI zones simultaneously then there's be no issue associated with the audio format. You can output different HDMI sources to each HDMI zone independently of one another with the AVR3313.

I know of no device or scaler that can down scale HDMI sourced HD video.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,437
    Also not sure if 4K is going to be an obtainable reality anytime soon so that dilemma may not present itself for quite some time. There is also talk of 4k being bypassed in favour of 8k hence it may never become an issue for you!!!!!!
    The HDFury can downconvert a HDMI signal to analogue but do not think it can downscale a HMDI input to a HDMI output.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,956
    The HDfury has no ability to convert resolution. Its abilities are restricted to the conversion of HDMI to analogue and the source resolution would remain the same after conversion.

The HDfury isn't really on the table as an option in terms of HDMI to analogue anymore because it now has to comply with HDCP and as such will not pass HDCP restriction encoded content. There's also the fact that new new implementations of component video will accept HD video.

5. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,700
    Plenty of pro gear will do this. Analog Way to dual scalers with separate outputs at different resolutions. They are fully HDCP compliant as well.

6. elwe

elwe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can find video rescalers, up/down or both easily enough, but nothing to reformat audio. I want to be able to have a blue ray playing with DTS MA and have the receiver playing the DTS MA in the main room while in the second room a second TV shows the same video and audio. However the second TV isn't going to decode DTS MA as far as I can work out and the Den on will only output the original audio on the HDMI.

I think the cheapest solution will be a Den on 1513 in the second room (£99 at richer sounds). I just need to work out how to switch the TV and Amp on and off together easily.

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,956
    The AVR1513 doesn't have second room audio or video capabilities. It is a 5.1 AV receiver and as such would require an additional external amplifier if wanting to power a second audio zone. Also note that the second zone audio capabilities of AV receivers are restricted to analogue, USB and network sourced audio and this is in turn restricted to stereo formats. You'd not be able to input an multichannel HD source into the AV receiver via HDMI and output 5.1 HD audio in the main room while also outputting audio to an additional zne.

What you could potentially do is have the second HDMI zone of an AVR3313 go to another HDMI equipped AV receiver in another room and have that power speaker in the other room while passing just the video on through to the TV there. This would mean that both rooms would be able to accept all formats as long as they are sourced via HDMI. You'd also have the option of HDMI sources running independently of one another in either room or running the same HDMI source simultaneously in each room.