av reciever support 4k and duel output

pamasonicman666

Established Member
Reaction score
Good Afternoon All,

I have a yamaha RXV675 receiver and it's served me well but I am looking for an upgrade but need some help, I need the below....

Dolby Atoms
duel output as I have a 4k projector and 4k TV

can anyone recommend a good one, wi fi would also be good.

it is powering an svs pb 1000 Pro sub and 5 Kef speakers plus I will have an extra 2 kef atoms speakers going in.

any ideas, cheers, Mike

A Denon 2700 or upwards would be my suggestion.

The 2700 is a 7 channel receiver so it would suit your existing 5 speakers + 2 overhead speakers but you won't have any options to add anymore.

If you can stretch a little further the 3700 would be my choice. It can process extra channels and has pre outs so it gives you possible upgrade choices.

Depending on budget 4K and Atmos has been a thing for a while now so there's a few generations of Denon that while a little older will still do more than you want.

Thank you, i have always had yamaha and chose the 675 as it had 2 zones but we never used the other 2 speakers so my plan was to tke those 2 and turn them into Atmos?, ill take a look at the denon thank you

On the denon 2700, just thinking if i kept my zone 2 in (currently connected via banana plugs) can i still do this with the denon, i cannot see on the rear pictures?

Just spoke to my wife and centre, Left right front, rear L & R and 2 x Atmos is all i am fitting in the room, so i know the 9 channel will not be needed (unless i can get a loft conversion!!)

On the denon 2700, just thinking if i kept my zone 2 in (currently connected via banana plugs) can i still do this with the denon, i cannot see on the rear pictures?

Just spoke to my wife and centre, Left right front, rear L & R and 2 x Atmos is all i am fitting in the room, so i know the 9 channel will not be needed (unless i can get a loft conversion!!)

The receiver has 7 channels of amplification and 7 channels of processing. If wanting a 5.1.2 Atmos setup in your main room then this would utilise all 7 onternal amps onboard the AV receiver so no, you'd then not have 2 spare channels of amplification remaining for a second audio zone. Also note that the same speaker terminals you'd ordinarilly use for the 2 Atmos speakers are the same back surround terminals you'd reassign to connect up 2 speakers in a second zone. These terminals can be assigned as height or Atmos, surround back or as second zone/ You cannot have all 3 or more than one of these options at the same time and there's no additional speaker terminals that would allow you to have these speakers all connected at the same time.

If desperate for both a 5.1.2 setup in the main room and a second zone then maybe look at a 9 channel AV receiver that would facilitate this.

Denon AV receivers don't have the automatic assignment switching you get on many Yamaha receivers or the additional second zone terminals you'd get on Yamaha's 7 channel models. Yamaha models can automatically switch the 2 additional channels of onboard amplification between the Atmos or back surround speakers and reassign it to second zone speakers depending upon the AV receiver's mode or the type of audio coming into the AV receiver.

Yamaha 7 channel model:
by default 2022-05-31 at 11.11.26.png

The current Yamaha model that would be comparable to the Denon AVRX2700 would be the RXV6a, but this model only has one HDMI output and not a mirrored dual output like the Denon. You could however simply use an extertnal HDMI splitter to do the same thing.

Note that you'd not be able to use both the height/Atmos speakers and the second zone speakers at the same time! You'd again need at least a 9 channel AV receiver to be able to do that with.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info above, I’ll take a look at both, also speaking some time on speaker placement while I am at it ;)

hi all thank you for the information, I have reviewed the speaker set up and I am now going to have.

centre
front left and right
rear left and right
4 x atmosphere
1 x sub

I also then have 2 speakers on a second zone so looks like I'll need a 11 channel, any recommendations and it does need to have the duel output as my splitters have failed 3 times so I fancy getting an upgrade :)

A one box solution for 11 channels is going to be costly. Off the top of my head the Denon X6700 new, or X6500 on the secondary market is really the entry point. Both of these have dual outputs for HDMI. Other models below that would require the use of an external amp via pre-outs for a second zone and 9 channel main zone set up. The Denon X3700 would fall into that category.

A one box solution for 11 channels is going to be costly. Off the top of my head the Denon X6700 new, or X6500 on the secondary market is really the entry point. Both of these have dual outputs for HDMI. Other models below that would require the use of an external amp via pre-outs for a second zone and 9 channel main zone set up. The Denon X3700 would fall into that category.
Thank you for this I was looking at the denon 6700 but yeah expensive alright!! If I dropped the 2nd zone and kept with the above I can get a 9 channel, will speak to the wife about the 3md zone as it’s never really used!!

Thank you for this I was looking at the denon 6700 but yeah expensive alright!! If I dropped the 2nd zone and kept with the above I can get a 9 channel, will speak to the wife about the 3md zone as it’s never really used!!

Just look at 9 channels AV receivers. The second zone can be facilitated in other ways. You can even use an external amp to power the speakers in the other zone. The additional zone doesn't have to have its speakers powered by the AV receiver's own integral amplification.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom