AV Reciever Help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Paino, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Paino

Paino
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

Need some advice….currently I have an Onkyo 606 powering Kef Q500 fronts, Q200 Centre and Q100 rears. Apart from the GUI no longer working (have reset) and the odd HDMI input issue I'm happy with the amp.

However, I have placed all my music onto my DLNA NAS in FLAC format and would ideally like to my amp to stream music from the NAS. I have read many reviews over the past week, and have narrowed it down to a choice between the Onkyo 709, Yahama 771 or Marantz 5006. I started angling towards the Onkyo (especially as the price has dropped) but have read that although I can stream music from the NAS, it doesn't make use of album art whereas the others do. I know this is frivolous feature, but would make browsing for music a lot less hassle.

Basically, my question is - can anyone advise if this is correct? Are there any other amps I should perhaps look at? Would I be better off getting a dedicated media streamer like a Popcorn hour?

Would need to be 7.1 (for future purchases), at least 6 HDMI inputs and be used for a mixture of listening to music and watching Blu-rays.

Many thanks.

Bob.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2011
  2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  3. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,512
    I agree. A dedicated music streamer is far better. Presumably you are referring to an app that doesn't display album art? I had a quick look on iTunes for an iOS app but couldn't see any album art. I would imagine if it did, they would show it!

I rarely use the networking on my Yamaha. It was pretty slow and clunky using windows media player as the server software, which I eventually gave up on. I was recommended to use Asset uPnP by a forum member. I tried it and it works well but you can't browse via album art on the AV Controller App. Funnily enough you can if you are streaming direct from the iPhone though. Obviously album art is displayed whilst the tracks are playing.

I use a Squeezebox which is brilliant. I control it via Harmony remote, Android App and iPeng App for the iPhone/iPod Touch. You can browse via album art via the apps. If you're only streaming music, an SB3 or Squeezebox Touch would be a great buy (plus a few quid for a suitable App. The official one wasn't that good but might be better now).

4. Paino

Paino
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the replies guys. I think I was going down the wrong path and not fully understanding the capabilities of amp's, I was hoping it would be a case of opening the GUI and pointing it at the NAS to play music!! With that in mind, I think I will look at a dedicated music streamer.

Cheers.

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229

You can do that with network enabled AV amps, but you'll find a dedicated streaming solution has far fewer compatibility issues than an AV amp. With an AV amp you get it as a bonus feature and not as the primary purpose of the box.