AV receivers...

wussupbuddy

Standard Member
I'm planning to get an AV reciever and I have shortlisted the following based on review and ratings on amazon. Could someone tell me how are these? Also I would kine to know whether there are any recievers which has a USB drive to connect an external hard drive? My budget is max $400

2003bluecat

I'm planning to get an AV reciever and I have shortlisted the following based on review and ratings on amazon. Could someone tell me how are these? Also I would kine to know whether there are any recievers which has a USB drive to connect an external hard drive? My budget is max $400
There are no following receivers :rolleyes:

davepuma

Distinguished Member
I might be wrong here but I doubt you will find an AV receiver at around your budget with USB. It's usually found on more expensive kit but it's not something I check for as I stream my media via a Squeezebox3/Xbox360/PS3 etc. New Yamaha 563 (euro model) has USB though...

wussupbuddy

Standard Member
Squeezebox looks interesting? how does it work ? does it have its own storage? Would I still need an AV reciever or can I directly plug to the speakers?

rwniel

Novice Member
Squeezebox looks interesting? how does it work ? does it have its own storage? Would I still need an AV reciever or can I directly plug to the speakers?
I would suggest you have a look in the Streamers & Network Music Players subforum as the Squeezebox is regularly discussed there. Slimdevices (the makers of the Squeezebox) is now owned by Logitech.

It accesses the music (over wired or wireless ethernet) via its own separate server application (Squeezecenter) which runs either on separate PC or Network Access Server (NAS). The latter is essentially a standalone networked hard drive meaning you don't have to leave the PC on in order to access your music. Another option is via an online site called MP3Tunes which you upload your music to - the Squeezebox then accesses it through your router through Squeezenetwork (essentially an online set of proprietry links to other services such as Pandora or Rhapsody - both music subscription services but without requiring Squeezecenter). If you have several Squeezeboxes in different rooms, you can either syncronise them or run them with separate music selections. You can also run a software PC version (Softsqueeze) which emulates a physical Squeezebox player.

It doesn't need a separate amp (av or stereo) although that is certainly more flexible if you have a number of additional sources. You can plug in a set of active speakers - the AudioEngine A2 are a popular choice. My sister runs an inexpensive pair of Creative travelsound speakers in one of her rooms as it makes for a compact package. The Squeezebox is primarily a music player (also internet radio), but the software is open source so there are a number of additional plug-ins that have been developed; for example I use the RSS feed to display news and weather information while it's in standby.

Robert

davepuma

Distinguished Member
is this what u r talkin abt? Also in that case is there any other way get my mp3 stored on comp to be played through the reciever like a lan connection?

http://www.etronics.com/p-39842-yam...93A35703736373D3337313&sbvname=743&bname=Ciao&
Yes, that's the one, although I didn't see any mention of USB on that site. If you check the Yamaha official site, you should see the specs. I would imagine it will be a lot more expensive than $360 when it hits the UK! :mad:

Someone else has explained how the Squeezebox works, it's one of the best gadgets I've ever bought and has totally transformed my music listening. It's great to have access to all my music stored in lossless (FLAC) on my PC, internet radio, RSS feeds etc. There are cheaper alternatives such as the Roku soundbridge.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom