1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

av receivers test tone

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by H4r7y, Jan 1, 2004.

1. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone got any links to sites explaining how to use the test tone on sony av amps?
    im not really impressed with the DD or DTS 5.1 in my room right now and im looking for some top tips to get it sounding better.
    anything like that on the net?

cheers

2. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The best way to set it up is to use a sound meter...

Best to dissconnect all but one speaker, then run the test tone...

Take a reading from your seating position, pointing the sound metre up, not towards the speaker...

3. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,212
    eh :confused:

H4r7y The idea is to adjust the speakers so that the volume from the test tone is the same through all speakers.

The problem is that depending on the amp the internal test tone can be quite inacurate !!

So its better to use a test disc (something like Avia or Digital Video Essentials) or to save money you may have a disc already with test tones (look for the THX optimiser logo on things like Starwars or T2) and as rupbert says ideally with a sound pressure meter.

Cheers

4. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I thought it would be easier to take a reading from the sound meter, now on second thought though it was a stupid idea :)

/my bad

5. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx guys for the replies.
    ive got T2 and it does have the THX logo on the cover, would the test tones be in the menu or is there something special you have to do with the disc?
    :)
    thx alot!

also what sort of things would i have to adjust? would it be things like bass & tredle levels and balance?

*just seen this is in the speaker department could a mod possibly shift it so i dont look like a twit forever!*
    :suicide:

6. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,212

If you go into the dvd menu you will see the THX optimiser logo, Just click on it and then select audio adjustments.

I think its then channel balance you need to select, You will then get a white noise from each speaker the idea is to adjust the level of each speaker in the amps setup so they all sound the same.

You can do this by ear or with a sound meter if you have one.

7. bobgriffiths

bobgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I first got a SPL meter I didn’t have a clue on how to use it. These instructions are for this Radio shack digital meter .

1. Place the SPL Meter at the listening position at ear level with the Microphone end pointed toward the ceiling. (A camera tripod helps to get it at the right hieght and to keep it steady and the Radio shack meter has the screw fittings for it)

2. Select “C” weighting, response slow then, turn the dB dial to 70.

3. Activate the internal pink noise generator often labeled just TEST or test tone of your Receiver/Amp and select manual test tone if it’s got one. Some just have auto which scrolls through each channel you then adjusts the levels. See your instruction book on your receiver/amp for details on how to do this.
    The built in test signal is not always the most accurate way, that’s why we suggest using Test discs which have better, more accurate test signals but either way is better than not calibrating at all.

4. Now adjust each speaker to +75 dB reference ( I always start with the front left or right speakers to get the initial level some amps don’t have separate level controls for the front speakers except for the main volume control and balance control )get the front two speakers set to +75 dB then adjust the other speakers. When you are adjusting the surrounds make sure your body is not in a direct path of the speaker and make sure the house is quiet. When doing the calibration, only the test tone should be heard (A/C, ceiling fans, vacuum cleaners, Kids, Pets
    Nagging wives etc. should be silent or turned off).

5. It is always tempting to turn rear effect speakers and subwoofers up to get a stronger effect my personal advice is don’t.

Hope this helps .

Thanks BOB

8. itcosthowmuch

itcosthowmuch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Bob - can you please tell me where the off switch for the nagging wife and noisy kids are located?

9. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Its called a 'locked door'...

:)

10. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: