• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AV Receivers - Space Issues

lovethechang

Established Member
Can anyone give me some suggestions please.

I am looking into making a purchase of a 5.1 set up (AVR and speakers) however I have come across a slight issue - that being the shelving in the my home built cabinet wasn't sized to accept anything taller than 141mm tall. The upper shelve does have a little extra height behind the upper cross bar (above the doors), but it is just accessing the space which would be a problem.

So, help is needed to find a modestly priced AVR that is no larger than 140 mm in height (width and depth are no an issue as I have a whole shelf free which is being used to store the wifes wii fit board)

In terms of money, I will have about £350 to cover the AVR and Speakers, and am willing to sacrifice getting full 5.1 straight away if I can get decent speakers.

Any suggestions for the total newbie?

Thanks in advance.

lovethechang

Established Member
Thanks for the reply Osamede. I have looked into the Marantz nr1501 as you suggested and it appears I can pick up a new one for about £300 which seems reasonable and will require an increase in the budget - I think I may need to find another £100 to be able to buy the set up so a little more saving up is reuqired I think - that is unless someone can suggest any other AVR which may be suitable.

Completely OT, on the taller AVR's, can the feet be removed as this would free up some additional space for getting it in the cabinet?

mentm

Prominent Member
No feet can't be removed as they are needed for air circulation as much as anything else.

If you are spending £300 on the receiver you should spend at least the same amount on speakers.

Only other option you have is to either buy an all-in-one which are generally smaller and come with the speakers and a bluray player within your budget, or myself I would be looking for another rack.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom