1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Receivers & Musicality

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by RC, Jan 4, 2001.

1. RC

RC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newbie question! I'm considering upgrading current hifi kit to include Home Cinema capabilities. My concern is over the musicality/ audiophile capabilities of the AV Receivers, given that I don't have the budget to consider multiple amp solutions etc. Will these bits of kit thrill when watching a movie, but just disappoint when playing CD's/ LP's?

I've done some looking around and think I'll go and listen to a Denon AVR-2801 and a Yamaha RXV800RDS. Words of wisdom would be much appreciated and also whether I should coonsider any alternatives in that kind of price point? Many thanks.

2. pauld

pauld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to use it for music aswell as movies, then go for the Denon. I have an AVR3801 and it sounds good on both. Denon are superior to yamaha for music in my opinion.

Regards, Paul.

3. scissor

scissor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a listen to the new Arcam AV100. It won't dissapoint for music or films.

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Another alternative would be NAD's T750 AV Receiver (£400) which is very good in straight stereo. What it doesn't do, however, is decode Dolby Digital or DTS so you would need to get a DVD player with it's own built in decoders - something like Panasonic's RV60 would fit the bill nicely as it's onboard decoders are very good indeed.

By all means listen to Denon/Yamaha but do also audition the NAD - it may not have as many bells and whistles as the others but it certainly won't disappoint you when it comes to playing CDs.

------------------
    This is a local shop for local people - there's nothing for you here!

5. Dave Jones

Dave Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although I have had a DVD player for over 3 yesrs now(US import) I have only recently been in ther market for an HC amp for a few weeks.

After doing all my research and changing my mind more often than I can remember I initially decided on something cheap. Perhaps the Kenwood 5030 or 7030., with some missions. I then moved to a yamaha A5 or a Sony 940. Then to a Yamaha A2, or a pioneer 908. Finally after reading about the Denon 3801 decided that was the one. Anyway to cut a long story short I listened to it yesterday at Sevenoaks HiFi, with B&W's and KEFS.

I was also speaking to some of the customers in the shop, who incidenty also owned Denon amps, the consensus was that for home cinemas there isnt much in it, but for music the Denon wipes the floor with the Yammys. This was also the view of the salesman. This surprised me as the Yam they were comparing it to was about £250 more than the Denon.

Anyway I ordered my Denon 3801 yesterday for a cool £599 inc delivery its not a grey import and comes with a 2 year guarantee.

I can only say it was amazing. The branch I went too use the 3801 as the refernce system, they cant sell a THX system because no one has the training otherwise it would be the expensive Denon.

I cant say enough about it...go and have a listen.

The 3801 also does the discreet DTS ES channel, which is nice!

Dave

6. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I recently traded in my old Rotel RA-930AX for a Yamaha DSP-A5 and I can't hear much difference, if any. Maybe because the Rotel was also classed as a "budget" 2 channel amp when it came out.

The Yamaha sounds OK to me - and it's brilliant with DD/DTS.

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I have Denon AVR 2800, which sounds brilliant. Better than my friends DSP A5, which is at least one year newer.

Admittedly I am slightly biased, having worked at Denon, but they still do it for me!

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'
    MiB 1997

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave

Your story sounds like mine. I've listened to piles of Amps over the last couple of years and after much faffing about have decided to actually spend some cash - and the 3801 is the one I'm going for too.

Speakers are a different matter - I don't want anything too big so DefTech or maybe Mission FS2 are gonna be my choice.

Anyway where are you getting your 3801 for £599?

9. sw25481

sw25481

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a word of warning!

I too, like many of you on this list, was primarily interested in the musical abilities of my amplifier. After auditioning as many as I could I decided on the Arcam AV50 because it sounded the by far the best for me, with my equipment, in my price range, (B&W 603s, Marantz CD-63 MK II KI-Signiture, Brit Pop Music, 2 years ago). I suspect that lack of features and simplicity of design of this amp, (2.5 Arcam Alpha 8s in a box with a Doby Pro Logic decoder and 6 channel input), meen more of the purchace price has been spent on ensuring high quality sound. This is not to say an amp with features could not sound excellent, just that more money would need to be spent to get features, such as a good DD decoder, SVideo switching, etc, and retain the sound quality, (in my opinion!!).

The problem is that I have found my DVD player's internal Dolby Digital Decoder to be very uninspireing, and have found this to be the case with other DVD players. (I have a Sony DVP-S725D). The Sony 940 amp for example, while not in the same league as mine for audio quality when playing CDs (in my opinion!!), puts my DVD player and amplifier combination to shame on Dolby Digital playback. Both the Sony and the Arcam are available for £400 now (£700 when I bought the Arcam).

While in retrospect I still consider this trade off to have been right for me at the time, I will be looking to upgrade at some point this year. My holy grail would be a Dolby Digital Pre amp that had a direct mode for music that introduced as little colouration as possible into the music when listening to CDs or LPs, connected to power amps renouned for their musical abilities, like perhaps a pile of those Music Fidelity stacking mono amps. (Any suggestions welcome).

I would also like a bigger house, faster car, higher paid job..............

------------------
    Kind Regards

Scott White
    London, England

10. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Scott makes some good points, especially about the Arcam AV50 which would be a good choice now that it has come down in price.

The point about the quality of a DVD player's internal DD/DTS decoder is very relevant and that is why I recommended the Panasonic RV60 - because according to What HiFi (July 2000), its internal decoders were better than the £1000 Rotel AV amp that they were using as a reference! High praise indeed.

11. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    as far as i'm concerned, if you want the best of both worlds, you need separate amps for music and home cinema. get a really good stereo amp for music and add a processor for home cinema. this does not have to be as expensive as it sounds if you choose wisely.

12. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Or get a processor that does both well combined with an amp (or amps) that are neutral and will drive your speakers, e.g. Arcam 10 DAVE + 10P3 power amp, TMA AV32R processor, TMA power amps, various Denons, various Rotel power amps.

sw25481 - I was in a very similar position to you. I had an AV50 using the 6 channel inputs from a Pioneer 606. Unfortunately the DD decoding on the 606 was poor, so I took the plunge and went for the Arcam 10 DAVE. This was more than I had originally wanted to pay, but I figured that I wouldn't need to upgrade for quite a while and even if I did, then I could still use the 10's as power amps.

Cheers,
    Liam

------------------
    "Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability."

13. RC

RC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear what is being said about the ideal route involving the use of dedicated equipment matched to specific tasks, but please bear in mind my original post where I also mentioned there had to be a compromise on budgets as well. I must be less than a perfectionist given that I want to feed my family, AS WELL as listen to music and watch films ;-) Thanks for your input. I'd be interested to hear other opinions as well....