AV Receivers minefield/advice

Muffledtom

Novice Member
For what you want, I wouldn't fixate on manufacturer or age so much as on condition. Personally when I have looked for used gear in the past, I prefer to look for kit that looks like it has been owned and appreciated by an enthusiast, and is in good cosmetic nick . Although no guarantee of overall condition of course, If kit is visibly badly scratched/dented/dirty etc, then indicates it hasn't been well cared for overall.
Obvs will all used kit there will inevitably be some war wounds picked up over the years, you just have to make a judgement on the overall condition.
Yep that sounds sensible - there’s just so much out there...it’s tricky to know where to start...

Muffledtom

Novice Member
Yep that sounds sensible - there’s just so much out there...it’s tricky to know where to start...
A couple more technical questions...my tv has 3hdmi connections which I use for Apple TV, freesat box and dvd - the Apple TV goes into the ARC hdmi currently. With a new av receiver would I just link it to the tv through ARC and add the components to the receiver via hdmi inputs? Or would you just just connect components to tv direct? There seems to be quite a lot of negative chat about various hdmi cables..with a number of receivers. Could I mix and match ie connect Apple TV hdmi to tv and free sat directly to the receiver? Just trying to work out how many hdmi inputs I’d need on receiver.
Or another approach...
With a 3:0 or 3:1 set up just connect all components to tv through hdmi and then connect tv to receiver through optical? It’s not as if I will be getting surround sound anyway with just 3 channels

Typically all dialogue seems a lot clearer through my stereo speakers since I have bought the untried centre!😂

xSLYx

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I appreciate my budget will only get me a secondhand one - that’s where I’m going round in circles! I was keen for any thoughts on hdmi versus optical connectivity set up on receivers for my basic 3:0 set up to give the centre channel a go.
Hdmi will give you dolby digital plus whereas optical will only give you dolby digital.
Just made the switch myself and it does make a difference.

Muffledtom

Novice Member
Hdmi will give you dolby digital plus whereas optical will only give you dolby digital.
Just made the switch myself and it does make a difference.
Am I going to notice that with 3 channel though - there just seems to be a lot of complications with hdmi connections and modern receivers longevity issues - my current amps are both 40+ years old!!

CaptainJames

Am I going to notice that with 3 channel though - there just seems to be a lot of complications with hdmi connections and modern receivers longevity issues - my current amps are both 40+ years old!!

With your proposed set up, I can see little benefit from DD+. It is better for 5.1 and for carrying Atmos, but neither apply to you .

Muffledtom

Novice Member
With your proposed set up, I can see little benefit from DD+. It is better for 5.1 and for carrying Atmos, but neither apply to you .
I know you said it’s best to the look at general condition but any thoughts on these around the £100-£150 mark
Marantz sr7400
Arcam avr300
Yamaha rx v677
Or are these sorts of comparisons ridiculous...is it bonkers to go old with receivers?

CaptainJames

I know you said it’s best to the look at general condition but any thoughts on these around the £100-£150 mark
Marantz sr7400
Arcam avr300
Yamaha rx v677
Or are these sorts of comparisons ridiculous...is it bonkers to go old with receivers?

Not bonkers, but obvs a bit risky. Any of the above would do a good job for you, assuming all working OK.

JimHen

Standard Member
Having decided to get rid of my previous setup 10 years ago because it was not conducive to small children, I decided to take the plunge at xmas.
I couldn't justify spending too much and had to work within physical space considerations.
I ended up picking up a Yamaha rx-v477 for about £110 and a set of canton speakers for the same price, both from ebay. The cantons had to fit in the tv storage unit so they are tiny and I foolishly underestimated how lacking in bass they would be so last week I picked up an alumni 9 sub bought locally off gumtree for £75 and it's now sounding great.
I initually started looking in Nov and held off buying until items appeared that seemed to be getting sold on by people who had looked after them.
I have to say I'm now very happy with what I've got. The convenience of the technology on the Yamaha is superb. With 6 hdmi inputs there's plenty of capacity. It doesn't have Wi-Fi or bluetooth but I have the luxury of being able to plug in directly to my router.
With a little tinkering it now accesses all my music stored on a laptop. The free Yamaha android app is also very good and completely replaces the remote.
My Yamaha was a few firmware releases behind but by strictly following the instructions for updating, it was a doddle to do, and took less than half an hour.

Muffledtom

Novice Member
Having decided to get rid of my previous setup 10 years ago because it was not conducive to small children, I decided to take the plunge at xmas.
I couldn't justify spending too much and had to work within physical space considerations.
I ended up picking up a Yamaha rx-v477 for about £110 and a set of canton speakers for the same price, both from ebay. The cantons had to fit in the tv storage unit so they are tiny and I foolishly underestimated how lacking in bass they would be so last week I picked up an alumni 9 sub bought locally off gumtree for £75 and it's now sounding great.
I initually started looking in Nov and held off buying until items appeared that seemed to be getting sold on by people who had looked after them.
I have to say I'm now very happy with what I've got. The convenience of the technology on the Yamaha is superb. With 6 hdmi inputs there's plenty of capacity. It doesn't have Wi-Fi or bluetooth but I have the luxury of being able to plug in directly to my router.
With a little tinkering it now accesses all my music stored on a laptop. The free Yamaha android app is also very good and completely replaces the remote.
My Yamaha was a few firmware releases behind but by strictly following the instructions for updating, it was a doddle to do, and took less than half an hour.
Thanks very much for the recommendation and advice - I’m sure a bit of patience and research will pay off. I have wondered how risky it is to rely on postage though with receivers - I’ve always collected equipment before and then one is relying on fairly local sales - any thoughts?

JimHen

Standard Member
No worries. Always happy to share experiences.
Quite a few people on ebay will not post this kind of thing and understandably so. I'm in central Scotland so there were limited options available locally. My Yamaha came in its original box and internal packing and was absolutely fine. The cantons came in a ridiculously thin box for a baby monitor but they were individually wrapped in foam and again were in perfect condition.
Ultimately the delivery company are employed by the seller so if they arrive damaged you could pursue them. I've only had good experiences though.

Muffledtom

Novice Member
No worries. Always happy to share experiences.
Quite a few people on ebay will not post this kind of thing and understandably so. I'm in central Scotland so there were limited options available locally. My Yamaha came in its original box and internal packing and was absolutely fine. The cantons came in a ridiculously thin box for a baby monitor but they were individually wrapped in foam and again were in perfect condition.
Ultimately the delivery company are employed by the seller so if they arrive damaged you could pursue them. I've only had good experiences though.
thanks for that info and glad you are pleased with the new set up

Muffledtom

Novice Member
thanks for that info and glad you are pleased with the new set up
Any thoughts on adding a sub to a 3:0 set up folks in terms of sound improvements....when budget allows... and what power output considerations on receivers to run the mission 751’s and centre? While I keep hunting!

JimHen

Standard Member
Re the sub, I guess it depends on whether you feel that it would be of benefit for movies. If you don't give it a go you won't know whether it's an improvement or not though. I don't have experience of your system but I'd say go for it. If you spend £100 on a second hand sub you can always sell it again if you don't need it.

Muffledtom

Novice Member
Re the sub, I guess it depends on whether you feel that it would be of benefit for movies. If you don't give it a go you won't know whether it's an improvement or not though. I don't have experience of your system but I'd say go for it. If you spend £100 on a second hand sub you can always sell it again if you don't need it.
Yep I was thinking ahead...do I go for a receiver with pre-outs for a potential powered sub or one that will just allow a passive sub... I think the latter in my case. Any more suggestions for an older receiver primarily for tv and films?

JimHen

Standard Member
The majority of subs I saw on on ebay made by reputable manufacturers were powered. From the research I did I saw that people recommended powered subs because they are only getting their signal from the receiver. So in conclusion I'd go for a receiver with a pre-out as most of the Yamahas have.
I'm no expert but from my research I was looking out for Yamaha rx-v models of 4 series and above and as new as possible for my budget of £100 or so. I would have loved the 481 or 677 but couldn't find them for my budget. Can't fault the 477 though as I've said above.
I avoided Onkyo as there seems to be loads of them for sale for parts and there seems to be known issues with them at this price point. Given my space issues I'd have liked one of the neater sized Marantz models but they were too expensive. I missed out on a nice Sony STR-DN860 and kicked myself as it went for £89. Just looking at ebay now there's a nice Sony STR-DN1030 finishing at 6pm and sitting at £102 plus £12 postage. I'd have snapped that up although it's 7.2 and probably does much more than you need.

Muffledtom

Novice Member
The majority of subs I saw on on ebay made by reputable manufacturers were powered. From the research I did I saw that people recommended powered subs because they are only getting their signal from the receiver. So in conclusion I'd go for a receiver with a pre-out as most of the Yamahas have.
I'm no expert but from my research I was looking out for Yamaha rx-v models of 4 series and above and as new as possible for my budget of £100 or so. I would have loved the 481 or 677 but couldn't find them for my budget. Can't fault the 477 though as I've said above.
I avoided Onkyo as there seems to be loads of them for sale for parts and there seems to be known issues with them at this price point. Given my space issues I'd have liked one of the neater sized Marantz models but they were too expensive. I missed out on a nice Sony STR-DN860 and kicked myself as it went for £89. Just looking at ebay now there's a nice Sony STR-DN1030 finishing at 6pm and sitting at £102 plus £12 postage. I'd have snapped that up although it's 7.2 and probably does much more than you need.
Ah thanks so much for the heads up with the Sony - it went for a little bit more than that...but not much. I think I’ll take your advice and bide my time a bit - there is a definite reluctance to not have my Pioneer SA-706 (I can’t bring myself to sell it) next to my tv but I’m intrigued to see how a mission 75c centre will sound plugged into a receiver - sub woofer perhaps along the line!!

Muffledtom

Novice Member
Ah thanks so much for the heads up with the Sony - it went for a little bit more than that...but not much. I think I’ll take your advice and bide my time a bit - there is a definite reluctance to not have my Pioneer SA-706 (I can’t bring myself to sell it) next to my tv but I’m intrigued to see how a mission 75c centre will sound plugged into a receiver - sub woofer perhaps along the line!!
it’s interesting researching the forum a bit more - there seems to be a lot of differing views on keeping a 2 channel set up with a stereo amp compared with a centre and an av receiver, especially if one is just limiting to a 3:0 set up, which appears quite unfashionable. I hadn’t realised that bbc iplayer for example is still broadcast just in stereo...I’m not sure I can give up the simplicity of just switching on the amp and bingo I have decent sound from my Mission 751’s...

Farleyfeatures

Standard Member
Yeah - I see your point. I think that, unless you are going to at least a 5.1 system, you may as well just stay with what you have. The centre channel is there mainly for dialogue which will be handled by your stereo pair anyway.

Muffledtom

Novice Member
Yeah - I see your point. I think that, unless you are going to at least a 5.1 system, you may as well just stay with what you have. The centre channel is there mainly for dialogue which will be handled by your stereo pair anyway.
Yep - I think unless I can pick up a real bargain av receiver to try out or possibly borrow a mates first - I’ll stick with the pioneer SA 706 amp powering the mission 751s and put the mission 75C in storage! Thanks for all your help folks!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom