AV Receivers minefield/advice

Muffledtom

Novice Member
Hi everyone - advice appreciated on recommended AV receivers please.
My current set up - Samsung Smart TV full HD LED with Prime/iplayer/spotify etc...
Front left and right Mission 751 bookshelf speakers 25-75 watts per channel 6ohms
Amp Pioneer SA-706 vintage from 1970’s
Prozor digital to analogue converter
Apple TV - non 4K version with optical
Manhattan Free Sat box
Sony DVD
Old Wii

I have just bought a Mission 75C centre speaker (6ohms) as films and tv can be quite muffled in terms of dialogue but music is 👍. Quality of dialogue varies a lot depending on channel/streaming etc.. I only play Spotify and YouTube now and again as I have a separate system for vinyl and cd’s.
I am looking at a 3:0 initially, possibly 3:1 down the line. To start with I was looking at more up to date secondhand receivers with ARC/hdmi connections, but I’m not sure all the complexity along with WiFi is required for my budget as the smart tv does a good job. Firmware updates also scare me!
Would I gain much getting an older/better receiver and connecting via digital audio out optical? Are secondhand receivers just too risky?
Initially I was looking at £100 -£150 as my budget.

My concern is my Pioneer amp is as good as gold 40 years on and receivers seem to have a very short shelf life with tech going out of date. I guess the centre may not make much difference but I’d like to try?
Any thoughts/wise words much appreciated and thanks for reading! Tom

CaptainJames

Hi everyone - advice appreciated on recommended AV receivers please.
My current set up - Samsung Smart TV full HD LED with Prime/iplayer/spotify etc...
Front left and right Mission 751 bookshelf speakers 25-75 watts per channel 6ohms
Amp Pioneer SA-706 vintage from 1970’s
Prozor digital to analogue converter
Apple TV - non 4K version with optical
Manhattan Free Sat box
Sony DVD
Old Wii

I have just bought a Mission 75C centre speaker (6ohms) as films and tv can be quite muffled in terms of dialogue but music is 👍. Quality of dialogue varies a lot depending on channel/streaming etc.. I only play Spotify and YouTube now and again as I have a separate system for vinyl and cd’s.
I am looking at a 3:0 initially, possibly 3:1 down the line. To start with I was looking at more up to date secondhand receivers with ARC/hdmi connections, but I’m not sure all the complexity along with WiFi is required for my budget as the smart tv does a good job. Firmware updates also scare me!
Would I gain much getting an older/better receiver and connecting via digital audio out optical? Are secondhand receivers just too risky?
Initially I was looking at £100 -£150 as my budget.

My concern is my Pioneer amp is as good as gold 40 years on and receivers seem to have a very short shelf life with tech going out of date. I guess the centre may not make much difference but I’d like to try?
Any thoughts/wise words much appreciated and thanks for reading! Tom

Your budget is not going to get you anything other than a used AVR, and even then not a very recent one. You would be best served waiting until you can increase your budget to circa £300 minimum.

Muffledtom

Novice Member
Your budget is not going to get you anything other than a used AVR, and even then not a very recent one. You would be best served waiting until you can increase your budget to circa £300 minimum.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I appreciate my budget will only get me a secondhand one - that’s where I’m going round in circles! I was keen for any thoughts on hdmi versus optical connectivity set up on receivers for my basic 3:0 set up to give the centre channel a go.

CaptainJames

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I appreciate my budget will only get me a secondhand one - that’s where I’m going round in circles! I was keen for any thoughts on hdmi versus optical connectivity set up on receivers for my basic 3:0 set up to give the centre channel a go.
HDMI would only be advantageous for sound quality if you are feeding the AVR a lossless source such as DTS MA or Dolby True HD Blu ray. Otherwise, an optical cable will give you normal lossy 5.1.

Muffledtom

Novice Member
so with the optical cable option in mind - any recommendations on an older receiver - where I can save some money? I’ve been looking at Yamaha, Marantz, Denon, Arcam - any thoughts on what will go well with my Missions?

Farleyfeatures

Standard Member
The 751's are a superb monitor speaker without colouration and one could argue that ANY AVR would not do them justice. With that in mind you could go for any of the above brands. I think I would personally lean towards Yamaha or Arcam as I find them more musical than the Marantz/Denon's.

Muffledtom

Novice Member
The 751's are a superb monitor speaker without colouration and one could argue that ANY AVR would not do them justice. With that in mind you could go for any of the above brands. I think I would personally lean towards Yamaha or Arcam as I find them more musical than the Marantz/Denon's.
Yep I really enjoy them and they sound great with my vintage Pioneer Sa 706..it’s whether I stick with that and put up with muffled dialogue ...fiddling with the treble and bass knobs does help ...or get a receiver to connect the matching centre without too much outlay.

CaptainJames

so with the optical cable option in mind - any recommendations on an older receiver - where I can save some money? I’ve been looking at Yamaha, Marantz, Denon, Arcam - any thoughts on what will go well with my Missions?

All of those, but I would be wary to be honest of a used Arcam. Although potentially best for sound quality, they have a rep for being a bit flaky. Also consider Pioneer.

CaptainJames

Yep I really enjoy them and they sound great with my vintage Pioneer Sa 706..it’s whether I stick with that and put up with muffled dialogue ...fiddling with the treble and bass knobs does help ...or get a receiver to connect the matching centre without too much outlay.

So cool!
Pioneer-SA-706-1.jpg

There is a Sansui AU217 MK2 still going strong in my family - you have to go some to beat the sound quality of these oldies!

CaptainJames

Any specific models or is that an impossible question!
Impossible. Just whatever looks to be in the best nick within your budget.

CaptainJames

Muffledtom

Novice Member
Technics SL-1200MK2 and a Phillips CD610ii going strong
We are digressing from receivers though...to talk specifics I missed out on a Yamaha rx v677 and rx v373 -I like the simpler Arcams but am aware of issues... I’m not sure these would hold a candle to the Pioneer SA-706 though...

CaptainJames

CaptainJames

We are digressing from receivers though...to talk specifics I missed out on a Yamaha rx v677 and rx v373 -I like the simpler Arcams but am aware of issues... I’m not sure these would hold a candle to the Pioneer SA-706 though...

Nothing will for stereo music, but as you say, you have your separate music system....

Muffledtom

Novice Member
Might just sell the Mission centre😂
Seriously though is firmware updating an issue with secondhand receivers...I’m also a bit put off by their complexity of use compared with a classic amp. WiFi seems unnecessary too for my needs with a smart tv?

CaptainJames

Seriously though is firmware updating an issue with secondhand receivers...I’m also a bit put off by their complexity of use compared with a classic amp. WiFi seems unnecessary too for my needs with a smart tv?
No reason for firmware to be problematic, they will probably be running the most recent anyway. AVRs are different beasts to stereo amps so yes much more complex - but once set up relatively easy to operate. WiFi use is not compulsory! Handy though for music streaming.

Muffledtom

Novice Member
No reason for firmware to be problematic, they will probably be running the most recent anyway. AVRs are different beasts to stereo amps so yes much more complex - but once set up relatively easy to operate. WiFi use is not compulsory! Handy though for music streaming.
Yep as my tv has ACR hdmi I’ll Iook at secondhand receivers that have that and see what’s about....i was thinking I might be able to get a non 4K receiver for a good price as a lot of people are upgrading or going wireless-I’m just about 20 yrs behind!

CaptainJames

Yep as my tv has ACR hdmi I’ll Iook at secondhand receivers that have that and see what’s about....i was thinking I might be able to get a non 4K receiver for a good price as a lot of people are upgrading or going wireless-I’m just about 20 yrs behind!

Yes, I am sure you will find plenty of options on the well known auction site......

Muffledtom

Novice Member
Yes, I am sure you will find plenty of options on the well known auction site......
Well if there are any models that come to mind I’d appreciate any recommendations...it’s a shame I can’t just try out one with the centre speaker to compare with the stereo amp and left and right channels..

CaptainJames

For what you want, I wouldn't fixate on manufacturer or age so much as on condition. Personally when I have looked for used gear in the past, I prefer to look for kit that looks like it has been owned and appreciated by an enthusiast, and is in good cosmetic nick . Although no guarantee of overall condition of course, If kit is visibly badly scratched/dented/dirty etc, then indicates it hasn't been well cared for overall.
Obvs will all used kit there will inevitably be some war wounds picked up over the years, you just have to make a judgement on the overall condition.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney picks up Sony's cinema releases post Netflix in US
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony unveils X-Series wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 21st April 2021