1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Receivers and Speaker Packages

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by richjthorpe, Oct 1, 2004.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have a Denon 1601 receiver and I'm looking around for a cheap(ish) Sub/Sat surround package that doesn't intrude into the living room as it's only small (10'x12' into fireplace alcoves). Therefore I am looking at Missions FS1's and the like.

This isn't a question of which speaker package but of how to wire them up. With receiver having outputs for the surround speakers and the option of hi or lo level outputs for the sub I would have thought you wire the surrounds directly to the amp and the sub to a lo level line. But I am increasingly seeing people and articles saying that it is better to feed the sub with all the cables (So that would be 6 pairs then) and let the sub do the crossover sorting because the sub knows exactly where the crossover point is instead of guessing at the amp.

Now, if my sub is at the other side of the room, I would have to run 10 feet of speaker cable 6 times before even thinking of running them to the speakers and also paying out for a receiver (I know it's not the best, but it suits me) that already does this job in the first place. I would be a little miffed if I've payed for something and there isn't a point to it (ie the crossover networks in the receiver or sub depending on which I used).

What are the good points and bad points of wiring either way and is there a cheap(ish) sub/sat package that doesn't require wiring through the sub ?

Thanks all.

Richie.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    on a cheap set like the missions i wouldn't bother with hi level inputs. as speakers will be set to small amp will set crossover and send lower frequencies to sub anyway.

3. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    connect all spks to amp - set them to small so anything under 80Hz goes to sub (connected to LFE Sub-out!)