AV receiver with zone 2 video DA converter?

babayaga

Standard Member
Hello,
I have been a happy user of Arcam AVR300 for over 5 years. It is a purely analogue receiver what concerns video, but it allows me to route any of its video sources to zone 2 video output (composite) independently of what is played in zone 1. Now with ubiquitous HDMI devices around, it becomes more and more difficult for me to make it live happily with these. So I am looking for a new AV receiver which could receive a Full HD inputs through HDMI and not only output these to the main zone 1 monitor, but also downscale HD video to composite video out for zone 2. And do this independently for different sources as in AVR300. My sources are a Bluray player, a sat receiver (both output HD through HDMI), a mac mini (I can select either DVI or HDMI Full HD output) and an old karaoke (composit video). And I want to be able to watch any of these in zone 2 independently of what is shown in zone 1 (apart from karaore, perhaps). Is there such a beast among AV receivers? Or at least a receiver which can route independently hdmi sources to 2 different HDMI outputs (although this would mean for me lying a cable to zone 2 and changing the TV set in the second room). I have troubles to find out...
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Welcome to the forum.

HDMI cannot be downconverted to analogue by an AV Receiver due to HDCP.

AV Receivers with twin HDMI out only mirror the input either to two displays or one at a time.

I would take a look at a Matrix device. You will find more information within the cables/HDMI sub forums.

Last edited:

babayaga

Standard Member
But most of AV receivers also feature analogue video outputs for the main zone: component, S-video and composite. Are the HDMI sources also output to these? If so, I see no logic: if DA video conversion is permitted for the main zone, why can't it be done for zone 2? Unless, HDMI sources do NOT output to analogue outs?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
As I said in my earlier post, HDMI cannot be downconverted i.e. if you input HDMI, the only output is over HDMI.

Also, you will be lucky to see S-Video on AV Receivers nowadays. It's as dead as a dead thing.

babayaga

Standard Member
Oh my God! Indeed, digital video is not output to any of the analogue outputs even for the main zone! Although all newest Yamaha receivers (RX-V1067, 2067, 3067, A1000, etc) have component, S-video and composit outs, they can only receive analogue inputs in either format. I have not realized that ;-( But what a huge step back in usability! Shame! As if invention of HDCP reduced the number of pirated films... But definitely frustrated ordinary consumers.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom