Av receiver with twin hdmi buying advice,

bluesith

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'd desperately like some help replacing my budget onkyo tx sr 308.
1st thing, I'm quite a noob.

I'd like one with a twin output to feed my TV and new Projector.

Like most people, I'd like a bargain and the Sony str-dn1040 sure looks good at £299 from richer sounds, as does the onkyo tx nr626, but I'm now having serious doubts on them both due to many threads about the Sony having problems and the onkyo burning out hdmi boards.
My speakers aren't that funky, 5.1 tannoys that appealed to my wife's visual taste.
I'm wondering if either of the above would be adequate or whether to save a little longer and go for the Yamaha rxv775 or the Denon Avr-x3000. Price is slightly an option.
Sorry for rambling, can anyone offer advice on whether there would be a good second hand one I could consider or whether they forecast any other ones coming down in price in the short term.
Thanks in advance, Tommy

Which Tannoy speakers do you have? Are the TFX or SFX? If so then I would say there is very little point in spending more on a receiver since even the Sony 1040 deserves better speakers to get the best from it. I believe the Pioneer 923 has dual HDMI outputs and is also being sold at a good price. There are quite of few happy 1040 owners on here as well so do not think it is a bad buy either. Take care about what you read on the internet since it tends to concentrate the problems and blow them out of proportion. Bear in mind people will post if they have issue but very rarely post to say everything is working fine.

Which Tannoy speakers do you have? Are the TFX or SFX? If so then I would say there is very little point in spending more on a receiver since even the Sony 1040 deserves better speakers to get the best from it. I believe the Pioneer 923 has dual HDMI outputs and is also being sold at a good price. There are quite of few happy 1040 owners on here as well so do not think it is a bad buy either. Take care about what you read on the internet since it tends to concentrate the problems and blow them out of proportion. Bear in mind people will post if they have issue but very rarely post to say everything is working fine.

Hi, thanks for the reply. It is the tannoy sfx I have, and thanks for the advice.
When I bought the tannoy speakers, I had initially went for q acoustics I think they were called, but at the time my wife wouldn't budge on anything that wasn't as pretty as the tannoys. Maybe I should have another look for a better speaker and possibly decent looking.... Or just lay down the man law and get what makes my ears the happiest. On a plus point I do have them mounted on the wall out the way and I've probably got more chance of having a peaceful upgrade ( apart from the obvious finance bit of it)
If you know of any speakers you think I'd be interested in, please reply.
Cheers, Tommy

The Monitor Audio Mass would be worth a look but they are not cheap. The Monitor Audio Vectors are cheaper but probably not the look your wife will like. Kef eggs often come up secondhand and so do B&W M1s so both these would be worth a look as well.

I'm now favouring the Pioneer 923,thanks.
I've avoided anything sony for years now and I think I should continue that.
I do hope the Pioneer is a sound improvement on my onkyo txsr308 and that there is room for improvement if I upgrade my speakers?
Thanks

Have you tried out the Yamaha rxv775 yet?
Hi, yeah I did consider it, as Yamaha seems to get favourable reviews, but it's slightly over my budget and more importantly, possibly overkill for my tannoy sfx speakers.
I'm getting in a muddle trying to decide, as there are so Many negative comments about most of the receivers I've been looking at. I know I shouldn't believe everything, but surely there is some truth in some of the issues.

Yes sorry missed that bit but still bargains to have on the 775 seen them as low as £399 against a price a few months ago of £600+

Yes sorry missed that bit but still bargains to have on the 775 seen them as low as £399 against a price a few months ago of £600+
I've a birthday coming up so I might go for the 775 for around £400. Is it worth spending £460 instead and going for the 1073?

They are disappearing fast so you need to get a move on.

Its easy to keep going up through the prices for the next model up for a small increase next thing you know you are paying more than you wanted. The 775 is a good spec for the price though the 1073 is a little more powerful and has 8 HDMI inputs

Have a look at the Focal Domes if you want something a little different, supplied quite a few recently and everyone seems to love them

They are disappearing fast so you need to get a move on.

Its easy to keep going up through the prices for the next model up for a small increase next thing you know you are paying more than you wanted. The 775 is a good spec for the price though the 1073 is a little more powerful and has 8 HDMI inputs
I settled for the 775. The 1073 was a little too big for my TV cabinet.
Can't wait, hopefully arriving on Friday.

Thanks for the help.

Have a look at the Focal Domes if you want something a little different, supplied quite a few recently and everyone seems to love them
They look great, I'm sure my wife would be happy. Unfortunately for now, way out of my price range.
Cheers

They are also on offer but really depends on your budget £699 rather than £999 for the Dome 5.1 Set

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom