1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Receiver with HDMI

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kevin348, Jun 7, 2005.

1. kevin348

kevin348

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any recommendataions on what is worth looking at that has hdmi in/out connections?

2. Petrushka

Petrushka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I can find only two alternatives when looking for AV receivers with HDMI in/outs. One is the Denon AVR-5805. Its pricetag is slightly higher dan your plasma screen, so the combination might suit you very well if you have too much cash to burn.

The second one is the Panasonic SA-XR70, which is more affordable. Unfortunately it has only one HDMI input and one HDMI output. If you (like me) are looking for an AV receiver which can be used to control all your HDMI sources and connect them to your plasma with a single cable then for the time being you'd better stick with your old tin boxes and put your money on a savings account. Better AV receivers are expected within a year or so.

In case you don't have a savings account you can use mine... :rotfl:

PS: Just noticed two more models, the YAMAHA RX-V4600 and the Pioneer VSX-AX4AVi. Both have two HDMI inputs and a single HDMI output and are in the $1,000 range.

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    But afaik these models won’t be out for a while out, probably October time for the Pioneer model.

4. cR4cKF0x 5TevE

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    According to the various reviews I have read, the Marantz SR8500 has HDMI switching. Retails at approx £1000. Judging by the performance of its little brother, the SR5500 which I have, I would guess that this would be fantastic.

5. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Arcam AVP700 HDMI equipped

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I thought the marantz had DVI switching? :confused:

7. Fast Jon

Fast Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  8. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Arcam AVP700 - Not a receiver but a processor

Marantz SR-8500 - DVI switching (though it might indeed accept a HDMI-DVI cable)

9. Petrushka

Petrushka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Which is why I suggested to keep the money in a savings account for a while.

I am about to install an HDMI plasma (Panny 500) and I will definitely accompany that thing with a DVD.HD recorder with HDMI interfaces. Having Sat-equipment and definite plans to get the Xbox 360 in December, I really want an AV receiver that can do some serious HDMI switching.

To have separate cables to the receiver and to the screen is not an option for me. First of all because the screen doesn't have so many HDMI inputs. But secondly and more importantly because my wife and (6 year old) son find such a setup much too difficult to operate.

So I need something relatively simple to connect all that stuff. An AV receiver would be a perfect solution for me. I have quite a few things on my wish-list:

• Small size (like the abovementioned Panny - I love that size!)
    • Multiple HDMI inputs
    • At least two HDMI outputs (to recorder and to plasma)
    • Networking (wireless or wired) to connect to PC and internet
    • SD card reader
    • DV In

Some of these options could be present in the DVD/recorder - especially the last three options. As you see I have quite a few wishes so it will probably take a while until I can get exactly what I want.

10. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I doubt we wil see one with two hdmi out for quite a while, you'd be lucky to find a reciever with 2 component outs.

There is nothing on the market at the moment which really fits with what you want.

Maybe an external switcher box will do but these are generaly expesive (for what they do) and wil not help the ease of use.

11. Petrushka

Petrushka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah, I am aware of that.

I wonder how AV addicts plan to record anything they receive onto their HD recorder in HD quality considering that there are really no HD recorders yet that have digital receivers.

In my case: I have a digital cable settop box for the Dutch channels and am about to replace my satellite receiver (which I use for receipt of a few specific channels) for something that can produce digital signals.

Until now, the lack of available equipment is tempting me to get a sat-receiver with built-in harddisk. Which effectively means that I need to get a HD recorder next to 'da real' DVD/HD recorder, right? That is really dumb, dumb, dumber! :nono:

12. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could still use a hdmi switcher on the one hdmi input, quite expensive but if you can't wait till the newer lines...

13. Petrushka

Petrushka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The new Denon AVC-A11XV has three HDMI inputs and one DVI input. Unfortunately enough only one single HDMI output. It also has ethernet connectivity for internet connectivity.

14. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I very much doubt we will see a reciever will all the inputs you want any time soon, your best bet would be to get a digital video switcher and a programable remote control with macros. Then when ever you select the device you want the switch can automatical change everything for you and you have some level of usability.

15. Topgunn

Topgunn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The philips dfr9000 also does HDMI switching, and also upscaling and DCDI

16. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Damn!!! It scaped my radar! I didn't think it is available in the market and had totally forgotten about it. Just a few days ago, I've ordered a Panasonic S97 DVD player and a Yamaha 657 and was not feeling all that happy as my LCD has HDMI input and I wanted to pass everything throught 657 but for the DVD I have to connect it to the LCD directly. Now this! I've just checked and DFR9000 and also its matching DVD player are both now available here, in Switzerland.

For those who want to know more about DFR9000, you can find the manual here: http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dfr9000_01/dfr9000_01_dfu_eng.pdf

17. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Although will the sonic performance be up to much. Also it may have loads of feature but will they be well made or just in there for the sake of it.

I know my philips DVDR80 should be amazing by the specs but its quirky in action with a teribly designed interface. Althought the picture quality is good i'm not so sure about the build or its potenial reliablilty as it gerts very hot. I personaly wouldn't buy another philips product until i was able to be certain it was reliable and functioned as you'd imagine. (The picture quality on their TV's of all kinds leaves something to be desired too, although that a different topic all together).

18. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well yes, I don't think DFR9000, besides HDMI switching, can be considered a nice amp:
    - Only 1 optical input and 3 coax!?
    - Does not support dual amp for the front channel (A+B)
    - No mention of audio delay settings in the manual
    - Low output power: 6x65W rated RMS for 1kHz and 4ohms

However, for somebody that only needs a receiver for a homecinema setting, that can be OK. You can connect you DVD player, your sat and cable receivers to it and that's all. For such usage pattern, I think the specs are good enough.
    So, no it is not for music but yes, it is nice in the video department.

19. Topgunn

Topgunn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am toying with the idea of just using this receiver as a scaler, so I can always swap the dvdplayer (or other sources). My digital audio cables can then run through my current receiver. Any thoughts on this idea?

For 600 euro in holland this might be a fine HDMI videoscaler.