AV Receiver vs Music Streamer

skads187

Novice Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get some opinions and feedback on comparing 2 different setups for network audio streaming.
Currently I listen to music 2 ways. 1 - Rega turntable to Moon 110lp v2 phono to Pioneer SC-LX701 - to Emotiva xpa-3 (powers 3 fronts) to psb Imagine t2. 2nd way - Network audio stream from pc to Pioneer receiver. For this part, in stereo, the Pioneer does do one thing great, I dont know if Im using the right terminology, but I think it upmixes the 16/24 bit audio files to 32 bit or something similar. It gives a great powerful sound, great bass. However the issue is , its fatiguing, I dont want to use the word harsh, but not smooth. I actually had borrowed a dedicated 500$ Pioneer music streamer, and it didnt even come close in sound quality, not sure if its because my LX701 had the proper MCACC room correction. Anyway, which leads me to my questions.

If I upgrade my receiver to a NAD T778, (I always wanted a NAD and was waiting until they made one with features that are up to par with other receivers), I know I will benefit from the Dirac Live room correction and better sound for movies and music + maybe the BluOS app (roon compatible).

My question is how would a less expensive upgrade to the NAD T778, compare to say a dedicated music streamer Amplifier for Music playback.
Say a NAD M10 for example. Have the Rega TT plug into the analog inputs. Have separate speakers connect to the NAD M10 and have that for music only. If the NAD M10 is not enough power, say a NAD M10 + NAD M22 power amp. NAD M10 is an example, but I know Naim has a similar product as well. Just throwing ideas, doesn't mean I want to go this route, but I am very interested in getting opinions on this.

Im going to do my best to call around, I need to see if I can audition a good AV receiver with HiRes audio playback vs a dedicated streamer using the same setup at the store, not my setup, but theirs just to compare and see what the difference sounds like. Im just assuming , something that does less and is dedicated will sound better than something that is more all around?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom