1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Receiver Virgin

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bleeders, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Bleeders

Bleeders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hi all,

With only a Digitheatre DTS unit (which ultimately died on me), and following that (and due to budget constraints) one of those £99 Currys jobbies, I'm still an AV Receiver virgin, but I'm looking to pop that cherry. :D

I've decided to pick up the Tannoy FX5.1 speaker package, mainly due to the rave reviews and life-style size of the thing, but, I'm still undecided on an AV Receiver at the £300 mark.

I've looked at the Marantz's, but have been concerned about all these sound-dropouts I keep hearing about, the Yamaha is certainly a viable route, but due to my noobness, I haven't a clue what is the best course of action.

Thanks,

Steve.

2. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For £300 i'd look at the Yamaha DSP-AX640 which was available for £280 from Richer Sounds. If you need a AM/FM radio incorporated in the unit you would need to go for the RXV640 which retails at c.£320.

3. Bleeders

Bleeders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Thanks mate, I like the look of that one.

Superfi are doing it cheaper than RS, so might go for it, just trying to figure out what cables I need now.

Cheers

4. lynneharvey

lynneharvey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently trying to put together a 'package' for home cinema and someone had recommended the Tannoy FX5.1 speakers and the Marantz DVD (DV4300 - I think), but mentioned that the marantz amplifier wasn't too hot - so this is very interesting to read.

Bearing in mind the Tannoy FX5.1 speakers and the Marantz DVD DV4300 - is there a better suited amp for the two or is the Yamaha going to be okay. Budget of £300 for the amp.

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Another amp to think about is the Pioneer VSX-D812 which can be picked up for about £300-?£330. Has good reviews and uses the same chipset that the striking AX5i uses..

The marantz seems to have a lot of people saying they have problems with them ans some who just love em. I would recommend a listen before buying as the SR5400 has had some superb reviews .
    :beer: