• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AV receiver upscaling query

ronildo

Standard Member
Hi,

Just wanted to know if AV receivers can upscale the internal freeview tuners of tvs?

I have a sony 46Z5500 hdtv, and am considering getting an av receiver.

I dont have any hd sources yet, but I want to know if when the receiver is connected to the tv, will it upscale the standard freeview that is built in?

Also, how good is the upscaling in general? I know the picture quality will vary between receivers, but is the upscaling noticeable?

Thanks

dante01

Distinguished Member
No.

TVs don't have video outputs and even if they did then you'd be creating a signal loop by passing the signal from the TV, through the amp and then back to the TV.

You'd need an external STB that can be connected first to the amp and then to the TV, but you'd be as well investing in an HD freeview STB rather than relying on your amp to upscale the resolution of an SD STB.

Quality of the upscaling varies, but is rarely better than the scaling carried out by your TV. Don't expect better unless spending £1000 or more on an AV amp.

Concentrate on getting HD source components rather than spending your money on upscaling ;)

Last edited:

ronildo

Standard Member
Thanks, I have a spare SD freeview box that I could use then.

Would the upscaled external SD freeview box be better/the same or worse picture quality than a dedicated freeview HD box?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Thanks, I have a spare SD freeview box that I could use then.

Would the upscaled external SD freeview box be better/the same or worse picture quality than a dedicated freeview HD box?

The HD box would give you access to native HD broadcasts so that would be the better option. The SD box can only access SD content so all its output would need to be upscaled by the amp. As I said previously, this is invariably no better than letting the TV scale the image to its display panel. Native HD is alwys better than upscaled SD.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
As Dante says I would let the TV do what it does best i.e. process the picture and let the amp do what it does best i.e. process the sound. Upscaling in most recievers is just a gimmick in my opinion with your TV doing a better job anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom