AV Receiver Upgrade? AVR-X3600 to X6700?

stonechip

Standard Member
Was looking for some help/advise.

I'm thinking about upgrading my Denon AVR-X3600H receiver, was looking at the AVC-X6700H but not sure if it's worth the upgrade or if there is a better way to go completely.

My current set up is Klispch RP500M left, right and center. Then Dali Zensor 1 for rear surrounds. Along with 4, Q Acoustics QI80C in ceiling speakers.
Sub is an SVS PB1000PRO.

In the future we might be moving the room and hopefully I'll be able to add a couple extra speakers to the setup.

What do you guy think my options would be or the best thing to do. Not really looking to spend more then 2.5-3K

Zarf2007

Bag one of these, you will not get better for movies and music. Supports 4k up to 60hz, all HDR formats, all major sound formats including Auro3d/Dolby Atmos and DTS:x. has eARC and will soon have a proper hdmi 2.1 upgrade module with all ports 2.1 (unlike denon/marantz):

beats both Denon and Marantz sound signature, is stable now firmware wise, and has Dirac room correction. I went from a Denon x4700 to Arcam (JBL same company shares same hardware) and sound is much nicer.

Last edited:

Mr Wolf

Was looking for some help/advise.

I'm thinking about upgrading my Denon AVR-X3600H receiver, was looking at the AVC-X6700H but not sure if it's worth the upgrade or if there is a better way to go completely.

My current set up is Klispch RP500M left, right and center. Then Dali Zensor 1 for rear surrounds. Along with 4, Q Acoustics QI80C in ceiling speakers.
Sub is an SVS PB1000PRO.

In the future we might be moving the room and hopefully I'll be able to add a couple extra speakers to the setup.

What do you guy think my options would be or the best thing to do. Not really looking to spend more then 2.5-3K
Personally I’d be upgrading the LCR speakers and sub (to a pair at least) before I did a move like that. IMO, that would make a substantial difference whereas an AVR upgrade will be far more subtle.

Speakers, subs and the room itself have a far greater impact on the quality of what you’re hearing than the AVR.

How large is your room and what level do you typically listen at?

stonechip

Standard Member
The AVR20 would be a bit out my price range once you also add in the extra amp to power the atmos speakers.

I've only just got the LCR speakers, as were upgraded from the Dali Zensors 1's a couple of months ago. If I had the space I would look at duel subs, again recently change from 2 x Dali E9F's but the SVS is a bit larger and don't have the space for 2. There isn't really an issue with anything but I've got it in my head now.

The room size is currently 3.5m wide and 9m long, with the tv/projector on the short wall and sitting 3m back from it.

Mr Wolf

Normally TV/Film volume level is about 50-55 DB
That’s -31db to -26dB on the relative to reference scale which is at the quiet end of where most people are at so you definitely don’t need any more amplifier power.

Coming back to what I said before, IMO your current AVR with a better set of speakers and subs would sound far better than the best AVR (or pre/pro separates ) on the planet with your current speakers and subs. The difference it would make is that great.

How do you feel your AVR is currently lacking? What are your expecations for an AVR upgrade?

stonechip

Standard Member
Well I don't really know the answer to this question. I don't have any problems with it really, nor do I know what I would be expecting from a new AVR. I think it's in my head that I need a new one.

Mr Wolf, you might have just saved me a small fortune upgrading the receiver for no reason.
To be honest it's more then impressive to my ears when you do turn the volume up.

Mr Wolf

If you're just itching to do something to improve the sound quality of what you currently have why not invest some time and a relatively small amount of money and buy a calibrated test microphone like a UMIK-1. These mics cost £119 and the REW software you use it with is free to download (but please give the creator a donation to support his amazing work). The software is much easier to use than it might look at first glance.

Amongst many other things, this can be used to help optimise your sub/speaker positions and EQ/time align your sub, all of which can make a real difference to your SQ. It will also show you whether or not you would benefit from a second sub - most systems do.

Zarf2007

The AVR20 would be a bit out my price range once you also add in the extra amp to power the atmos speakers.

I've only just got the LCR speakers, as were upgraded from the Dali Zensors 1's a couple of months ago. If I had the space I would look at duel subs, again recently change from 2 x Dali E9F's but the SVS is a bit larger and don't have the space for 2. There isn't really an issue with anything but I've got it in my head now.

The room size is currently 3.5m wide and 9m long, with the tv/projector on the short wall and sitting 3m back from it.
For atmos speakers some people have added a couple of these which provide enough power and do the job:

if you just wanted a boost in music performance on your existing setup one of these amps with HT bypass which connects to your front LR speakers from the AVR’s pre-outs would do the job, you would then just connect a music streamer such as the bluesound node directly to it:

Last edited:

N1ck

If you go by any of the audio science reviews then there wouldn’t really be any discernible difference between the 3600 and 6700 other than features and power.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom