AV Receiver switching

Ja55

Hey All,

If an AV receiver has a HDMI output and component and optical inputs can you connect your sources using the component and optical in but just hook up the screen using the HDMI out connection ?

I'm thinking of buying the Harmon Kardon Avr 245 receiver for which the spec states HDMI switching. Not sure if this is what I am after?

I'll try and explain a bit better:

Basically I already have a Harmon Kardon DVD 22 which does not have a HDMI connection but does have a component connection for video and a digital coax and toslink connection for sound.

I have also bought a Thompson SKY HD digibox which has the same connections as the DVD player (I'm not subscribing to HD just yet therefore will be using the component connection).

I want to connect these sources to the AVR245 and then connect the
AVR245 to my Bravia LCD using a HDMI cable.

I'm about to run some trunking from my AV stand to the LCD and dont know whether I should run the power for the LCD plus a single HDMI cable or both HDMI cable and a component cable too.

Thanks
Jas

oddfeld

HDMI switching just means you can plug in multiple HDMI sources and switch between them (usually only between 2 inputs unless you spend lots on an amp).

You need a receiver that does what will be described in the specs as 'upconversion' to HDMI. These start at about £400 for the Onkyo 674.

I don't know the specs of the HK amp you're looking at, but this page has a bunch of examples - all the ones that have 'with HDMI upconversion!' written next to them in red.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom