• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AV Receiver & Stereo HiFi Amp - Don't want to lose the HiFi

DinoKustas

Howdy,

I am looking for some advice on how to retain my HiFi setup whilst incorporating an AV receiver, surround sound setup.

I am currently running my stereo Marantz PM7200 and Dali floorstanding speakers for my HiFi. For my HiFi setup I am very happy with this configuration.

Ideally I would like to keep my Dalis running for the front speakers, as well as for my HiFi but I am not sure if this is possible?

So what do people do in this situation? Do you have a separate set of speakers for HiFi and surround or do you have your AV amp and HiFi amps connected somehow? Speaker switchers?

Appreciate the help.

Thanks
Kosta

dante01

Distinguished Member
You've two options. You can either look at buying an AV receiver that includes left and right channel pre outs that ca then be used to connect your stereo integrated amplifier to or you can consider using an amplifier selector switch to determine which amp will be used in conjunction with the speakers. Here's such a selector:

THE BERESFORD TC-7220… Audio Crossover Network. » Adventures in Hifi Audio

The former option can be contrieved if using an intergrated as opposed to a power amp because of the need to set the integrated stereo amp back to the volume level it was set to when the AV setup was calibrated. You'd have to remember to set the volume back to this level whenever you wanted to use the AV setup.

DinoKustas

So the amp selector seems to be the best way then! It's an integrated stereo amplifier, so the remembering of pre selected volumes might well be a pain, for the wife!

Thanks for your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom