AV receiver & Speakers help!!

Newkidonthebloc

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a first time buyer looking to build a decent mid range home theatre. I've done some research and I've narrowed down the options for an AV receiver (in no strict order):

1) Pioneer VSX-1021-K
2) Denon AVR-1912
3) Yamaha RX-V671

My 2 questions are:

1) Are the above the most decent options out there? my preference is for good sound quality

2) What sort of speakers bring out the best of these AV's? (While i think i lean towards floorstanding I dont mind small speakers with subwoofers as well - again, best midrange sound quality is the only preference).

Apologies if this has been addressed in another thread, kindly point me in the right direction.:lease:

Do also look at this very good buy Onkyo TXNR609 as it must be coming to end of range was £499.
As for speakers what sort of budget are you putting aside if you get a AV amp around £350 - £400. Should be about £500 to £600 minimum.

Thanks Andy,

I saw that one as well, but compared to the Denon (my current front runner) its sound quality was said to be lower; although I must admit it was reputed as probably the best overall package.

With regards to speakers, I'd be looking to spending between 400-500 (600 perhaps a tad steep unless the difference in clarity and durability is worth the extra few quids).

So in your opinion (if we threw the Onkyo in the ring) of the 4, which are you most impressed with? and which would you consider best bang for your buck and why?

Also, with the stated budget, much obliged for suggestions on the best speakers in that price range.

Cheers

On a personal note the Onkyo would win for me.
I always look at the power consumption as a good guideline as to what the real output power will be, this is important for music.
Onkyo = 610watts.
Denon = 460 watts.

Most manufacterers do not stick to one set of figures.
What I would always want to know is how many watts per channel with all channels driven between 20Hz and 20Khz an amp will attain.
Example I am constantly looking to replace my Cambridge Audio 540R which states 100 watts per channel all (5) channels driven, but then again it has a 850 watt power supply and cost me £300 new, but alas no HDMI inputs.
Looks like I will have to wait for this to come into the shops Azur 551R 7.1 HDMI AV Receiver

As for speakers there are many choices and the bottom-line is you need to sit down and listen to some.
These get very good reviews Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10 HCP HOME CINEMA SPEAKER SYSTEM WITH SW150 SUBWOOFER

The Denon 1912 is available for a very impressive price right now. I suspect a new model is about to replace it. This is a £500 amp that is available for roughly £300 to £350 depending on the source.

Denon AVR1912

I think the Yamaha RX-V671 is also discontinued, but is still available in the £370 to £420 range. This is also amp that typically sells for £500 or more.

Google-UK - Shopping Search - Yamaha RX-V671 AV Receiver

The Onkyo amps are very good and very popular, but, from my limited experience, then tend slightly toward the bright, as do Monitor Audio speakers. If you are buy these unseen and unheard, I would not pick that combination. However, if you get a chance to hear the Onkyo and your chosen speakers together, and you like what you hear, more power to you.

As to speakers, "Midrange" tells us nothing, you need to give a rough budget range for the speakers? For the amps in question, I would say £500 minimum, a £1000 would be closer, and in the £1500 to possibly £2000 would be more ideal. Though, those statements have substantial flexibility to them. But if you are serious, then I think your speaker budget needs to be at or close to £1000.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
The Denon 1912 is available for a very impressive price right now. I suspect a new model is about to replace it. This is a £500 amp that is available for roughly £300 to £350 depending on the source.

Denon AVR1912

I think the Yamaha RX-V671 is also discontinued, but is still available in the £370 to £420 range. This is also amp that typically sells for £500 or more.

Google-UK - Shopping Search - Yamaha RX-V671 AV Receiver

The Onkyo amps are very good and very popular, but, from my limited experience, then tend slightly toward the bright, as do Monitor Audio speakers. If you are buy these unseen and unheard, I would not pick that combination. However, if you get a chance to hear the Onkyo and your chosen speakers together, and you like what you hear, more power to you.

As to speakers, "Midrange" tells us nothing, you need to give a rough budget range for the speakers? For the amps in question, I would say £500 minimum, a £1000 would be closer, and in the £1500 to possibly £2000 would be more ideal. Though, those statements have substantial flexibility to them. But if you are serious, then I think your speaker budget needs to be at or close to £1000.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks for that, the prices are encouraging, I'm tempted to go ahead and buy one, but something tells me the features on its successor might make it worth the wait.... do you know anything about the new features on their replacements?

On the speakers, my budget is £500, I'm not well versed on technical specs, the little research I've done shows that the best way to measure is to listen but I fear the guys @ richer sounds half of the time are out to make a sale... which is why I'm more willing to rely on peoples opinions than specifications.

Also, I'm conflicted between stereo floorstanding speakers or smaller multi channel speakers with a subwoofer.

Most important to me is that there isnt a mismatch between the amp and the speakers

few issues though (1) At my flat, I fear I wont be able to unleash the full power of anything as expensive as a grand and (2) and more importantly, being my first foray in assembling a system, I'm willing to scale up once I get a strong sense of what I feel is missing.

grateful for your feedback as always, but my question is would a £500 range speakers fail to deliver the full power potential of the amps we've been discussing?

also have you heard of teufel speakers? any good?

As to amps, the amps in question, though having been replaced by new models, are as upto date as need be. They support 3D, which in turn means they support HD Audio and HDMI 1.4. Newer amps, may have USB input, networking capability and similar. The question is, do you need those feature and are you willing to pay for them?

Network streaming, USB, and Internet Radio can be added to a system at a later date for about £200.

As to speakers, with your budget, I would concentrate on front and center. Front floorstanding need not be a problem in a small flat. Though a compromise that works very well for many is quality bookshelf speakers in the front that are capable of standing on their own as stereo/music speakers.

Consider this -

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10 HCP HOME CINEMA SPEAKER SYSTEM WITH SW150 SUBWOOFER

Now make one change, upgrade the front speakers to Diamond 10.1 instead of 10.0. That will increase the price by about £50, and yield a much better system.

An alternate would be this -

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.1 SPEAKERS & SW150 SUBWOOFER 2.1 SPEAKER PACKAGE

Use this as the Sub and rear speakers, then add this -

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.1 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

and either of these -

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.CC CENTRE SPEAKER

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.CS CENTRE SPEAKER

So, the basic system would be -

£230/set = Sub and rear
£100/pr = Center
£158/pr = Front
-------------------
£488 = Total

That would be a very nice speaker system, and within your budget.

Steve/bluewizard

SLICKMOTION

RE: The Apex Club
Hi All*

Please can some help as I'm looking to invest in compact surround package, before I started my research into what is the best compact lifestyle speaker package. Bose V35 was on top of my list, but after a lot reading on different forums I have no idea which route take. Please help.

List of speaker packages I was looking into.

focal dome 5.1

Paradigham Millenia range.

Monitor Audio Apex 5.1

All partnered with a*onkyo 609.

Bose v35 lifestyle pack.

As to amps, the amps in question, though having been replaced by new models, are as upto date as need be. They support 3D, which in turn means they support HD Audio and HDMI 1.4. Newer amps, may have USB input, networking capability and similar. The question is, do you need those feature and are you willing to pay for them?

Network streaming, USB, and Internet Radio can be added to a system at a later date for about £200.

As to speakers, with your budget, I would concentrate on front and center. Front floorstanding need not be a problem in a small flat. Though a compromise that works very well for many is quality bookshelf speakers in the front that are capable of standing on their own as stereo/music speakers.

Consider this -

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10 HCP HOME CINEMA SPEAKER SYSTEM WITH SW150 SUBWOOFER

Now make one change, upgrade the front speakers to Diamond 10.1 instead of 10.0. That will increase the price by about £50, and yield a much better system.

An alternate would be this -

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.1 SPEAKERS & SW150 SUBWOOFER 2.1 SPEAKER PACKAGE

Use this as the Sub and rear speakers, then add this -

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.1 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

and either of these -

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.CC CENTRE SPEAKER

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.CS CENTRE SPEAKER

So, the basic system would be -

£230/set = Sub and rear
£100/pr = Center
£158/pr = Front
-------------------
£488 = Total

That would be a very nice speaker system, and within your budget.

Steve/bluewizard

Hey Blue Wiz!,

So I gave your comments a lot of thought (thanks for that). On the amp, I'm going to go for either the Denon or the Onkyo (they both generally serve my typical usage).

On the speakers, I've narrowed it down to the KEF C7 and KEF Q500. I saw the Wharfdales' you suggested (thanks again) but because im looking to slowly build from 2.1 to 3.1 (center) and finally to 5.1 (drawn out process I know) I'm now in the market for just 2 front floorstanding speakers.

The KEF brand has good reviews and they look awesome as well. But obviously, there is a £300 difference between the two options.

Thus the question is; is the Q500 worth the extra dosh (vs the C7)?

Second, are there better value (by sound quality and clean design) pair of floorstanding speakers out there?

Thanks again

Well....in the kef "universe"...The C series was just a way to get access to lower budget buyers.

If you can afford it....go with the Q500.....that simple.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom