AV Receiver/Sonos Arc/Projector Link Up

StuGlad

Novice Member
Reaction score
So like a number of people on the forum, I’m trying to link an AV Receiver (Denon S960) to a Sonos Arc and in my case, a projector. The Denon has the outputs below right (one eArc out, one straight HDMI monitor out) :
1649008236263.png

I’m thinking using a HD Fury Arcana will solve my connectivity issues. My questions are:
1. Am I correct in thinking the above will work?
2. How would I run the HDMIs? One from the eArc on the Denon to the input on the Arcana. Then eArc from Arcana to Sonos and HDMI from Arcana out to projector? Denon eArc to arcana and the other HDMI from the Denon direct to projector? Or something different?
3. What standard of HDMI cables to I need to run to each piece of kit.
I’d like to get the benefit of the Dolby Atmos capability of the Sonos.
Thanks all

'I’m trying to link an AV Receiver (Denon S960) to a Sonos Arc' - first question is Why? :)

System - is there a TV in the Mix and what Source devices are you planning to use?

eARC - is not cascadable.

Joe

Hi Joe

Why? Simply because it's the kit I have in the house! 🙈 (apart from the Arcana which I'd order) And it seemed like a decent use of the receiver (to handle multiple inputs) However, I don't have to use it and guess I can get an HDMI matrix switch.

No tv in the mix, just multiple devices (x box, Formula 10 streamer box, blu ray etc) to receiver, then to Arcana split to 1080p HD projector and sound from the Sonos Arc (Dolby Atmos) was the idea.
So I was wondering if I switch off CEC and/or ARC on the Receiver if the set up would work.
The support at HD Fury has since come back and said that if I switch off ARC or use one output that does not carry CEC on the receiver then it will.

AVR - have a look at its power consumption and heat output, it is a very inefficient HDMI Switch.

Connectivity - you can combine the HDFury Arcana with an HDMI Switch (there are low cost options starting at around £50 which have proven to work reliably with the Arcana) or you have the option of the Vertex³ (VRRoom) which is a 4 Input, 8K capable unit with an 'Arcana' Output (though possibly overkill for your requirements).

The 'norm' for a Projector + the SONOS Arc would be Source(s) > HDMI Switch > Arcana then connect the Arcana to the Projector and Soundbar.

Joe

Note If you have not already done so you must connect the SONOS Arc to an ARC or eARC enabled TV and carry out the initial SONOS Configuration before you then connect it to the Arcana + Projector.

Last edited:
As for switches that work (or not), I tried a Kinivo and it didn't work. Next, I bought a ROOFULL 5 Port 4K HDMI 2.0 4K@60Hz HDMI 2.0a Audio Extractor Splitter, Support ARC, HDR, HDCP 2.2, 18Gbps, Dolby Vision. It also has issues where the video and audio skip part of the program. When I plug the devices individually into the Arcana, everything works perfectly. Figure it must be the switch. Any "sure thing" switches that will perform?

Roofull is usually a decent match with the Arcana and Arc or Beam.

The much more expensive HDFury Vertex2 is always a good match or switch out the Arcana for a Vertex3.

What cabling are you using?

Joe

Thanks Joe. Yes the Arcana tech suggested it might work. They also suggested, Cable Matters 48Gbps 8K HDMI Cable 6.6 ft / 2m with 8K@120Hz and that is what I'm using. I have devices (Fire TV cube, FIOS box, Tivo 4K, and DVD) plugged into the ROOFUL switch and then a Cable matters running to the Arcana, from the Arcana I use the Sonos HDMI cable to connect to the ARC and then a Cable Matters connected to my Sony 2016 4K TV. Thanks for looking at this on a Sunday!

How do things go if you connect Source > Switch > Arcana with just a single Source connected to the switch?

Joe

How do things go if you connect Source > Switch > Arcana with just a single Source connected to the switch?

Joe
Just tried to 10 minutes with the FIOS TV box. Video and audio were fine, but I kept getting a "switching to TV speakers" and then "switching to external speakers" message alternating on the TV screen. Doesn't do this when directly connected to the Arcana (the FIOS). I'll try the Fire TV tonight and see what happens.

Just tried to 10 minutes with the FIOS TV box. Video and audio were fine, but I kept getting a "switching to TV speakers" and then "switching to external speakers" message alternating on the TV screen. Doesn't do this when directly connected to the Arcana (the FIOS). I'll try the Fire TV tonight and see what happens.

I Tried the Fire TV cube plugged directly into the ROOFUL with no other devices. It worked for about 25 minutes and then the video and audio went black. I reconnected with the Fire TV directly to the arcana and everything worked perfectly.

Can you test Source > Switch > TV - that may show up any issue with the Switch.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom