• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AV Receiver Selection

jamied27

Hi Guys,

Bit of a novice when it comes to home cinema audio so could do with your help.
My Pioneer VSX420's power unit has gone pop and I cant find my receipt for the guarentee, no biggie though because I really didnt like not having audio pass through HDMI.
So im on the look out for a new or second hand AV Receiver.

My budget isnt huge by any means, will be around £200.

I have Sky+HD, PS3 and Xbox 360 to connect to inputs and i have a TV and projector for outputs (All HDMI)

For the money I have available I'm not expecting 2 HDMI outs, ill probably buy an active splitter for that at a later date.

What do you guys reccomend? Ive been looking at the Denon 1312 as it seems to have everything I need and I can pick it up locally at Peter Tyson.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd suggest the AVR1612 rather than the AVR1312. You may also want to consider the Yamaha RXV371?

I should also warn you that you may still not be able to passthrough a SKY HDMI signal while in standby. It is SKY's non compliance with HDMI CEC that prevents this anf not specifically to do with who manufacturers the AV amp being used.

jamied27

Thanks for the reply, never seen the Yamaha in my travels, seems to give the denon a run for its money. Will deffinatly consider it.

Im'm not a fan of using TV speakers, when I had my pioneer the TV volume was never used so thats not a problem for me.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I should point out that I suggested the AVR1612 and Yamaha RXV371 over the Denon AVR1312 because the AVR1312 has no calibration mic or ability to use one. The two alternatives both come with calibration microphones and auto calibration abilities.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom