Question AV Receiver recommendations for around £650

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dizzle77, May 25, 2019.

1. Dizzle77

Dizzle77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Currently I have a Yamaha RX-V1073 which is connected to 5.1 surround made up of 2 x B&W 683 S2, HTM62 Centre speaker, 2 x 686 S2 and a BK 400 Sub. My PS4 is connected via HDMI to the AV receiver and soon I intend picking up a NvidiaShield too. The HDMI out of the Receiver is connected to my TV.

This setup has served me well over the years, however I'm looking at upgrading to a 4k OLED TV and I'm thinking of upgrading my AV Receiver. Budget wise I'd like to spend around £650 on a unit with 4k passthrough and that is slightly more powerful than my current unit. Specs below:

upload_2019-5-25_8-7-7.png

For my usage I mainly use my system for streaming FLAC from my NAS, watching movies and gaming. An AV Receiver with an app would be nice, but it's certainly not a necessity.

2. Nayfne

Nayfne
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,570
    I cant remember the actual power ratings, but because I'm biased and I have one, inwould recommend the Marantz SR6012 :smashin:

3. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Would second the SR6012, cheapest 11 ch processing avr and has 9 ch on board amps. Only thing I didn’t like is the tiny display, but all things can be seen OSD.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,132
    You'll be hard pushed finding an SR6012 still in stock anywhere. That boat has unfortunately sailed.

5. Gilbers

Gilbers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
  6. Dizzle77

Dizzle77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Looked up the 6012 - sounds like a solid unit. Not too keen on the smaller screen, but no biggie.

Beginning to think maybe I should future proof myself by going with a receiver and TV with HDMI 2.1. I don’t tend to upgrade my TV or Receivers often, so would like something to last about 6-8years. Came across the Denon 3500 which seems to be feature packed. Never had any experience with Denon equipment. Anyone have experience or the Denon Vs Yamaha receivers re sound/usability?

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,132
    You'll not see any AV receiver with full blown HDMI version 2.1 until next year. There's no current requirement for it so no real incentive for the AV receiver manufacturers to impliment it. THey have however issued updates for some models to give them eARC and this year's new models will also come equipped with this. The only current rever you'd be able to add HDMI 2.1 to is the Denon AVCX8500 which has been promised a paid upgrade. You'll not be able to buy this upgrade until at least June next year though and the price of an X8500 is well above your proposed budget.

No AV receiver is going to include HDMI version 2.1 this year.

Denon receivers tend to sound more laid back than Yamaha and are often said to be less capable when it comes to the portrayal of stereo music. I tend to prefer the signature sound of Yamaha receivers when compared to Denon models. I'd suggest looking at Marantz models if wanting something that gives you a lot of what you'd get from a DEnon model, but with tuning that better portrays musical sources.

8. Dizzle77

Dizzle77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    You’re quite right. Just gone back to the article I read about the Denon 3500 and realised that I misread the HDMI 2.1 part - indeed it does have 2.1 features, but not full blown HDMI 2.1.

As for sound, I do enjoy the sound output from my Yamaha. Just wondered whether the Denons were similar sounding, but it would appear that they’re not. If I have a chance I may try and demo a Denon alongside a similar specced Yamaha.

As for Yamaha it looks like the closest I’d get to what I have now is the RX1080, but that would set me back about £999. More than I wanted to spend, but selling my RX1073 would help soften the blow. How much do you think I could get for it....£200?

9. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    If you can live without AirPlay 2 then you can get a RX-A1070 for £750 (will be getting eARC).

10. Dizzle77

Dizzle77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    For me Airplay 2 is a ‘nice to have’ feature, but having it on receiver might help. Reason being is i’m looking at picking up LG B8 TV. LG have not committed to adding this feature to 2018 sets, so having it on the receiver may be beneficial.

I’m not in a rush to buy at the moment as I probably won’t be buying until mid-late July, so hopefully prices might drop again by then. In the meantime I’m probably going to sell my 1073 as i’m not using it anyway. Sadly it’s been unloved and unused for nearly 18months as I had to move and put some things into storage.