1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV receiver recommendation.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by scitech, Mar 3, 2005.

1. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm new to this game so forgive my ignorance. I just bought a new Home Cinema package. The DVD player has a digital co-ax output and also six individual channel RCA outputs. The subwoofer/Amp has corresponding RCA inputs but no digital input (I didn't realise this when I ordered it). So, I can get surround sound out of my DVD player no problem but I've got Sky+ on order and I have an Xbox, both of which have digital outputs. I've been looking at various AV receivers but I was wondering if you can get one that doesn't have an amplifier (I don't think I need one as there is one built into the subwoofer) and I'm thinking that if I'm not paying for an amplifier then the receiver itself will be higher quality. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A receiver is simply an amplifier with a built in tuner.

Therefore every AV receiver out there is basically just an amplifier with a tuner.

3. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Know a good one that doesn't cost the earth?

4. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Look in the classifieds on here as a first step, Do some research on whats for sale, is it worth the price etc... I always though that Richer Sounds were a good place to start to get ok kit cheaply. No doubt others will jump in and recommend other places.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

5. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is your price range ?

6. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well sub £150 would be a good start.

But is there any alterantive to my predicament? If I have an AV receiver feeding into my sub/amp it will only take an idiot (possibly me ;) ) to turn it up and blow my amp.

7. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    If you already have an amp, you can simply use the digital radio channels from Sky thru the amp.

8. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you explain this a bit further please?

9. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please don't think I'm fick but this surround sound stuff makes my head hurt (computers and other "modern technology" I'm alright with). If my amp is Pro-logic which I think it is, will it upgrade an analogue stereo input (it has several) to surround sound. If yes, does Sky+ have the corresponding output? The amp does have a "Virtual surround" function which makes the stereo output from my Xbox sound reasonably surroundy.

10. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Buy a magazine like "hifi and home cinema essentials" - read the beginners section.

If your amp doesn't have the required connections look at buying a new one, or a digital to 2 RCA lead (if they exist)?