AV Receiver recommendation

nicros

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi!

So I just got a new 3D TV, and discovered that with my PS3 I cannot run the 3D signal through my older Onkyo receiver.

I've been shopping around on amazon, and it seems like Yamaha rules the roost there. But on external site reviews, it goes from Sony to Denon to Yamaha...

My requirements are pretty straightforward:
- 3D passthrough
- AirPlay is nice
- 5.1 output
- some longevity would be nice- upgradable via wifi?
- On the cooler side- it has to fit in a fairly tight enclosure
- Under $500

Are there any clear winners? Or just pick something that seems reasonable?

Thanks!

Well a lot of people, including myself, have gone for the Denon 2113 which is only 250 quid at the moment from richer sounds. Seems to tick your boxes. You say $ in your post, are you in this country?

Even if not the Denon will be under $500 by now in the states. No wifi on it but easy updates via Ethernet. If you want wifi look at the Sony dn1030. Its down to around £300 I think but I've stopped following that amp since I sold mine.

Yep, I'm in the states. I'll check out those recommendations, thanks!

Any others that fit the bill?

What do you mean by "it has to fit in a fairly tight enclosure"?

No AV receiver will fit this criteria. There are some svelt models available, but they will still require appropriate ventilation and are compromised in terms of power when compared to more conventional sized alternatives. Such svelt models would be the Marantz SR1403, 1603 or Pioneers VSXS300 or VSXS500 models. These receivers are slimmer in terms of height, but just as deep and wide as other AV receivers.

The US retailer do not appear to be discounting the Denon models in a similar manner to the UK retailers and as it stands the AVR2113 is actually beyond you $500 budget. Maybe consider the AVR1713 as a lesser alternative or the AVR1913 as a slightly better option? The AVR1913 isn't available here in the UK.

Other options would be the Sony STRDN1030, Yamaha RXV573 or Onkyo's TXNR616, although there's be no Airplay with the Onkyo option. The Sony is notable because it has inbuilt wifi capabilities. It should be noted that Denon do not offer a wifi option unlike Onkyo and Yamaha who provide this via an additional hardwar dongle.

Last edited:
The US retailer do not appear to be discounting the Denon models in a similar manner to the UK retailers and as it stands the AVR2113 is actually beyond you $500 budget.

Yes I just checked best buy and amazon us and they are both asking $649. So for once we are doing much better :smashin:

Makes a pleasant change :rolleyes:

What do you mean by "it has to fit in a fairly tight enclosure"?

Just that it cant be a HUGE unit. These units seem to be mostly around the same size- I was just thinking that if there are some that are smaller (like the units you mentioned) then it might be reasonable that there are some that are larger than the average as well. I only have about an inch of clearance on each side and top of my Onkyo (which is already too tight I think) so I can't go bigger than that.

The Yamaha is starting to stand out- both in price and reviews. A lot of people seem to be happy with this unit. I take the amazon reviews with a grain of salt, but there are sure a lot of them that are good.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom