AV Receiver recommendation.

deesloop

Standard Member
1st post :hiya:

I know this get asked regularly and I've been researching for several months and keeping an eye on eBay for a bargain.

Anyway, I need a new amp to replace my Denon 1602. I can no longer live without HDMI. I'll be hooking the new amp to an 360, HTPC, Wii, Sky and possibly a BR that is as yet unpurchased.

They'll be run into my BA Soundwave XS5.1 which were bought because of their discrete size (among other things). So I've been looking at a replacment that will run them. I may have to move to a 7.1 solution also so at the moment I'm looking for a reasonably inepxensive solution up tp £200.

I would prefer a decent 2nd hand item rather than a new unit - unless it was an open box/ex demo bit of gear.

Richer sounds are doing VSX921 above my budget and I have my eye on an Onkyo 606. There's an 805 auction sitting at £100 Item number: 271026464452- which is way above my requirements, but will be interesting to watch.

I've been looking at Sony ST820 which i misseed on ebay by £6 - went for £113.....:facepalm:

Everyone says I should up my budget to get the Yamaha 473 or the Denon but I cant quite strech to it...

Anyone got any ideas - I quite fancy the Onkyo but AV has changed so muchs ince I last looked - 7 years that I feel like a noob again!!! Need a :lesson: i feel.

Many thanks

Nevaborn

£200 really wont get you a lot tbh. That Onkyo may be a fair shout. Only issue being you dont know condition or how its been run. It could break in few days. Once these things break its usually more expensive to fix than its worth.

Dennon are really good these days and i think you could find a discontinued 1912 for about £250

deesloop

Standard Member
OK
I think the 805 is only a 720 HDMI which is no use for me.

So I'm now looking at the Sony STRDN1020 and the Pioneer VSX 921
Both around the £250 mark from RS - is that a better choice?

Nevaborn

deesloop said:
OK
I think the 805 is only a 720 HDMI which is no use for me.

So I'm now looking at the Sony STRDN1020 and the Pioneer VSX 921
Both around the £250 mark from RS - is that a better choice?

1020 on RS website says £349.95

The 921 is showing no results. Its in their system but seems theyve none left.

The sony is good choice but more expensive

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom