AV receiver recommendation - Do i need one with upscaling/upconverting abilities??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by topgeeza, Sep 18, 2007.

1. topgeeza

topgeeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

I've just bought the 428xd pioneer plasma and am now looking for a new AV Receiver.

Once sourced, my equipment list will be as follows:

Pioneer PDP-428XD Plasma
    Sony BDP-S300 BluRay DVD player
    Sky HD box
    Ninetendo Wii console
    A.N. Other AV receiver

I have a couple of questions...
    Firstly, I was led to believe that the Pioneer PDP-428XD could do the upscaling/upconverting of Standard Def signals thereby negating the need for me to get an AV receiver capable of doing this, but when i spoke with Pioneer today, they said that the screen doesnt do any processing apart from resizing the image that it receives to fit the size of the display <now i'm very confused!>

So, if this IS the case, apart from the Onkyo TX-SR875 (which is to be honest a little over my budget), are there any recommendations for an AV receiver for me to maximise the Video signal to ensure SD signals are max'd up (is this upscaling or upconverting?) to the display's resolution

I intend to connect all of my equiment via HDMI (except the Wii which will be via component) through the AV receiver with just one HDMI going to the TV. I'll also add an Optical lead from the Sky HD box to the amp for 5.1 sound

Secondly, should I run the Sky HD box directly to the TV with an optical lead going to the AV Receiver or should I run it via HDMI through the AV receiver directly also with the Optical connection (for 5.1)?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Neil.

2. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    Basically upconverting takes the original resolution e.g. 576p and output 576 via the screen, if it upscales it will take 576p and output 1080i to the screen. I reckon you could get away probably with the onkyo SR 605 certainly for the time being you could plug via HDMI the Sony BDP-S300 BluRay DVD player
    and the Sky HD box and then the Wii into the component input and should be able to send all via the one HDMI cable to the plasma. I wouldn't worry to much about the upscaling if most of your equipment your connecting will be HDMI anyway

3. topgeeza

topgeeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for your reply Dazza74!
    I notice you've got a Topfield receiver too. Is that the model with HDMI connectivity? I've currently got a Technomate TM-1500Ci and am waiting for Technomate to bring out a new model with HDMI connectivity (I heard early on in the summer that it was due in the Autumn)....

4. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I would suggest running the Sky HD direct to TV, and optical lead to amp, as you mentioned. Just run the Blu Ray player thru the Amp. You could also run scart or S video from the Sky box to watch SD channels on a different input. Reasons for this are that you can set up the video settings on each input on the 428, and of course, SD settings would differ from HD. Running everything thru the Amp and out to ONE input on the 428 would mean the one input setting on the 428 would have to cover all formats.

5. topgeeza

topgeeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers for your reply Blu Ray.

Unfortunately due to in wall truncking for my hdmi(s), power lead and speaker cables, running a scart or S Video cable would now ruin my "wirefree" installation.
    So my thoughts are to get a programmable remote (like a logitech harmony 1000) and programme it for both Sky HD and Sky SD settings thereby changing the video settings for each of those formats on the 428 at the press of one button (in theory it should work anyway!) :D

6. durk

durk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31