AV Receiver Recommendation (DN1080-V583-NR676)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mga2009, Mar 13, 2018.

1. mga2009

mga2009
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I sold my Pioneer VSX924 which was a little bit dull and boring, and want to buy a new AV receiver for my TV room.

My 5.2 Setup (100% movies and games, no music):
    L-C-R DIYSoundgroup Fusion 6
    Rear Cambridge Audio Minx Min11
    Sub Dual sealed 4cu. ft. Dayton Ultimax (amplified with Behringer NU3000DSP)
    Also need ATMOS, because I will install 2 DIYSG Volt 6 for that matter.

I live in Chile, so I don't have that many choices for an AV receiver. I can get these:
    1-. Yamaha V583 for USD$649
    2-. Sony STR DN1080 for USD$931
    3-. Onkyo NR676 for USD$830

I can't listen nor try these, as all three should be imported first. So, from the reviews I've read, the Sony is the best of the three, but it's also a 40% more expensive, and might not be a 40% better. Build quality is important, as I will probably wont have any warranty.

So, from your experience which one should I purchase? Any experience with any of these? Please only consider sound quality, dynamism and excitement, and not other characteristics as HDR, 4K, upscaling, casting, apps, etc. as are not that important to me at the moment.

Looking forward to your help.

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,990
    The Sony is the best option you have available to you in my opinion. Other than this then I'd suggest you see if you can find a retailer with a DEnon AVRX2400. THese sell for less than the Sony here in the UK and offer a lot for what you pay for them. After saying this, DEnon's signature sound is often said to be rather slow and lacking excitement.

3. mga2009

mga2009
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your reply!

Well, I can import the Denon X2400 for a price between the Yamaha and the Onkyo (around UD$750), but I always thought Denon was much more "musical" than "for movies"... and your comment on their signature sound it's not very promising...

Switched my Pioneer VSX924 for that reason, dull and no excitement. The Denon X3400 seems to be much better on that aspect, but it's more expensive than the Sony.

I will try to get more info on the X2400.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,990
    Denon AV receivers are more movie soundtrack orientated. Marantz receivers are made by the same concern and use the same archtecture and components, but are tuned to better represent musical sources. If wanting a more musical receiver with the same abilities as a Denon receiver then the advice woulld be to look at a Marantz model. Denon's signature sound is rather warm and laid back. I'm surprised at your appraisal of the Pioneer signature sound. Most people state that Pioneer receivers are clinical and more clinical sounding that other brands of receiver.

The X3400 is a better receiver and does include better room EQ correction, more power and pre outs for all channels.

5. mga2009

mga2009
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I tend to listen my movies on a low volume, or better said, not to high (not even close to reference), and maybe that's the reason my Pioneer never got the chance to show it's power, but as the "WhatHifi" said in it's VSX924 review... "competition offer more excitement".

So, the bottom line is that for excitement, dynamism y muscle y should pay extra bucks for the SONY...

Also, yes no doubt the x3400 is a better receiver, but is out of my reach for the moment.