AV Receiver Prices - have they gone up??

jimster99

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I need to buy a new AV Receiver. I last bought one in about 2015 - 16, it was (I think) a Denon 2400 and I paid about £375. The 2300 (the prevoius year's model) fell as low as about £190 when they were selling it off. This year, the 2700 (seems to be the current equivalent to my older model) seems to be £650 - 700. What? Have prices really gone up that much due to Brexit or Covid or inflation generally? Or am I missing something? Has it just been released and prices expected to fall? I'm not paying £650...! Thanks!!

Prices are about the same, but are not being discounted like they were when you last made a purchase. New models are retaining their prices and even used models have seen their price increase. This is as a result of demand caused by there being a shortage of receivers and this has in turn been caused by both the pandemic as well as an abject shortage of processors. Almost all devices requiring ptocessors have been hit by this. Processor shortages are due to not only the pandemic, but also a drought in Taiwan and a major fire at a chip plant in Japan. The drought is important because chip manufactures requires large volumes of water and many of them are based or have plants in Taiwan.

You simply bought your last AV receiver at a time when it was being discounted by a retailer. THe recommend retail prices are much the same as they were then as they are now.

The AVRX2300 was never being sold for £190 by any retailer I know of. Its prices never dropped below £300 as far as most outlets were concerned.

Prices only drop and retailers only discount products if they've an excess of them and if wanting to clear shelf space. DEmand is at this point in time exceeding supply, hence why the devices are maintaining the prices and why they are not being discounted.

Last edited:
No new replacement models announced yet so no run-off pricing discounts on the current models. When I buy I usually aim to bag 40% off the RRP of an outgoing model if I can. Not sure what we’re going to get this year due to Covid maybe messing with replacement cycles.

Demand is outstripping the supply of new units. Two causes mainly, the obvious pandemic issues as well as a fire in Japan that completely destroyed the factory of a major microchip manufacturer leading to a shortage. Prices of new units are staying stubbornly high and the secondary market is having a boom.

Eek, maybe I shouldn't have sold off my old backup Onkyo so quickly...! Looks like I'll have to revert to 2 channel audio for a while untli I can source a better approach! Thanks all!!

and the secondary market is having a boom.
This is the bit I was most surprised by, I bought my Marantz 7010 second hand from here in Apr 2018 for £20 less than one sold for on here recently.

Prices are about the same, but are not being discounted like they were when you last made a purchase. New models are retaining their prices and even used models have seen their price increase. This is as a result of demand caused by there being a shortage of receivers and this has in turn been caused by both the pandemic as well as an abject shortage of processors. Almost all devices requiring ptocessors have been hit by this. Processor shortages are due to not only the pandemic, but also a drought in Taiwan and a major fire at a chip plant in Japan. The drought is important because chip manufactures requires large volumes of water and many of them are based or have plants in Taiwan.

You simply bought your last AV receiver at a time when it was being discounted by a retailer. THe recommend retail prices are much the same as they were then as they are now.

The AVRX2300 was never being sold for £190 by any retailer I know of. Its prices never dropped below £300 as far as most outlets were concerned.

Prices only drop and retailers only discount products if they've an excess of them and if wanting to clear shelf space. DEmand is at this point in time exceeding supply, hence why the devices are maintaining the prices and why they are not being discounted.
When the 2400 came out, the 2300 was available for £299.

When the 2400 came out, the 2300 was available for £299.

Yes, because retailers were discounting it in order to clear their shelves of the older models in order to make room for the new models.

The current situation is that retailers have no excess stock so they've no reason to discount anything in order to get rid of the AV receivers.

It is called supply and demand. The higher the demand for something and the lower the supply then the higher the price for such goods will be,

Denon never suggested that the retail price for the X2300 should be £300. Its suggested price at launch will have been relatively similar to the suggested price of the X2700 now. It was only due to retailers discounting the AVR that it became available for less.

Why on earth would the retailers want or need to discount the X2700 at this point in time?

Second hand Sony str-dn1080 are going on ebay for over £500 one sold the other day for £670 crazy prices supply and demand I think I payed just over £400 new 2 years ago

x2700 selling for £600.. crazy prices for budget near bottom of the range.

My 9.1 Pioneer vsx920 was £249 brand new and the newer pioneer vsx 5xx models with 4k, etc. were under £300 brand new not many years ago.

The X2700 isn't Denon's entry level model. There's at least two other models below it available here in the UK and several more elsewhere in other regions.

Last edited:
x2700 selling for £600.. crazy prices for budget near bottom of the range.

My 9.1 Pioneer vsx920 was £249 brand new and the newer pioneer vsx 5xx models with 4k, etc. were under £300 brand new not many years ago.

Again, those prices were set by retailers and were not the recommended prices suggested by Pioneer. The retailers sold them at such low prices because they were poor selliers and they had to be discounted in order to clear them.

and no, the VSX930 was neither a 9 channel receiver nor was it launched with the price you suggest. The same goes for the other Pioneer models you mention.

The VSX 930 was priced at £500 when launched:

and that was 6 years ago.

You are quoting prices offered by retailer when and after the products have been discounted. These are not the same as the prices suggested by the manufacturer.

You are not getting discounts because the retailers haven't any excess stock yo clear. You are lucky to find a retailer with stock, hence the close to suggested retail prices being asked for the goods. There's no reason for the retailers to have to offer anyone a discount. They are businesses anf not charities!

If you want an AV receiver at this point in time then you will have to pay more because supplies are limited and demand is high.

Last edited:
The Pioneer vsx531 was only £249 rrp.. that was launched only about 4 years ago..

where are all the sub £250 recievers or even sub £300 these days...

there used to be plenty of choice of £250-£400 4k recievers with all the features most people need, not long ago.

Yeah, and you used to be able to buy a 3 bedroomed house for under £3K in the 1950s :)

Yeah, and you used to be able to buy a 3 bedroomed house for under £3K in the 1950s :)
I am only talking about 2-3 years ago...the prices of have shot up from april 2020.

the prices of some second hand AVRs and some hifi have increased a lot this year.

The actual recomended price for preceeding comparable models is pretty much the same for the models that replaced them.

What has changed is the discounts being offered by the retailers. Prices are high because supply chains are in tatters and stocks depleted. Prices have stayed high due to demand not being met. This is also effecting used prices so it has nothing to do with the manufacturers or their suggested pricing.

If you see a manufacturer offering you anything comparable to the X2700 for £300 then you should be asking yourself what have they skimped on to be able to do so?

Last edited:
The actual recomended price for preceeding comparable models is pretty much the same for the models that replaced them.

What has changed is the discounts being offered by the retailers. Prices are high because supply chains are in tatters and stocks depleted. Prices have stayed high due to demand not being met. This is also effecting used prices so it has nothing to do with the manufacturers or their suggested pricing.

If you see a manufacturer offering you anything comparable to the X2700 for £300 then you should be asking yourself what have they skimped on to be able to do so?
How about asking what extra do these AVRs have to warrant doubling in price in just 2-3 years..

It's crazy to see mid range AVRs for around £1k.. 3 years ago a mid range AVR was £500 and even at that price I thought was a lot of money.

I think most things have gone up in line with inflation, except for my wage.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom