Av receiver preouts

muljao

While looking at some receivers they only have a sub and rear surround preouts. Could anyone explain to me please why there wouldn't be front preouts and centre also? Thanks

dante01

Distinguished Member
Which receiver is it that you are looking at that includes just rear surround pre outs?

You get a sub pre out on all AV receivers because they are designed to use an active sub as oposed to a passive model.

Some models are more likely to include front left and right channel pre outs than pre outs for the other channels. Mosy Marantz models for example include pre out from the front stereo speakers.

Some AV receivers include pre outs for an additional audio zone, but no pre outs other than that used for the sub.

No receiver I know of only includes pre outs for just the rear of back surrounds.

It is more likelty to be the higher tier receivers that include a full set of pre outs. The higher up the receiver is within the manufacturers line up then the more likely it is that is will include pre outs for all the channels the receiver is capable of processing.

muljao

Thanks, this is the rear panel of an onkyo tx nr509, I have seen some Denon ones similar, but not sure why
Screenshot_20180327-191417.png

wl1

Thanks, this is the rear panel of an onkyo tx nr509, I have seen some Denon ones similar, but not sure whyView attachment 997635
I think the Onkyo 509 is a 5.1 AVR, but can process 7.1, so you can add an Amp if you need that option.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yeah, it is because the NR509 only includes 5 channels of integral amplification, but can process 7 channels of audio. You'd be able to add 2 additional channels of amplification to power the back speakers in a 7.1 setup if you wanted to.

muljao

Thanks, it's something I never knew but often wondered why

Khazul

That's horrible. If am only going to add a stereo power amp to an AVR I want it on the front channels not the surrounds. Cheap b******s!

dante01

Distinguished Member
That's horrible. If am only going to add a stereo power amp to an AVR I want it on the front channels not the surrounds. Cheap b******s!
You'd already have integral power for the front speakers. The TXNR509 has no integral amplification for back speakers hence the pre outs so you can add that amplification if you want a 7 channel as opposed to 5 channel setup. The addition of front pre outs is a bonus while the 509's inclusion of back pre outs is a nescessity for those wanting to utilise it within a 7.1 setup. You'd not ordinarilly get front ppre outs included with an AV receiver of this level, not unless you count one of Marantz's slimline models as being comparable.

Trending threads

Top Bottom