AV Receiver or TV Upscaling?

TheWelshScott

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm after some advice on my home cinema setup. I have a denon AVR-x2200w receiver, skyq and a Samsung 75q70a tv.
The tv is new so has earc which my previous tv did not. We watch mainly sky tv with some Netflix & prime streamed from native apps.

Previously I've had everything go through the receiver and had to have an optical cable for the sound when streaming from native apps.

Now thats gone away with the new tv, its made me question the upscaling. Both the receiver and the tv upscale which should I use?

I'm guessing as the tv is newer than the receiver that it should do the upscaling? if that's the case I'm guessing that I would need to plug the sky q box directly into the tv and just use the receiver for surround sound?

Additionally, when using the tv remote with earc, powering off the tv powers off the reciever as expected. Should powering on the tv power on the receiver as well? as this does not happen.

It appears I can answer this myself. After rooting around the online manual and performing lots of testing, and as far as my eyes seem to think, the best thing to do is turn the picture upscaling off on the receiver and let the tv upscale.

It appears I can answer this myself. After rooting around the online manual and performing lots of testing, and as far as my eyes seem to think, the best thing to do is turn the picture upscaling off on the receiver and let the tv upscale.
A good TV is always going to be better at upscaling than an AVR.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom