1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Receiver or Scart switcher?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by chrisyd, Aug 19, 2004.

1. chrisyd

chrisyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Newbie question.

I am looking at how to connect the following to a Panny PW6 (still yet to purchase):

VCR (old Sony)
    Sky (not +)
    DVD (Scan 440 but will be upgrading).

I plan to puchase some Canton CD1 speakers but I am looking at the best method to connect everything to the Plasma.

Should I have everything going through the AV receiver, or should I also purchase a SCART switcher (Quinto) as well?

I must note that I cannot have anything too complicated as my wife will be operating it as well.

I hope this makes some sense - if not please ask questions so I can ask better questions

thanks

2. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you're going for an AV receiver with SCART inputs then i don't really see the point on the quintro (leave the receiver on sky and if she wants to watch a DVD or video she can get you to change it!).

I've a similar set up to you (well - cable, dvd and xbox) - and I'm going to daisy-chain the xbox scart through the cable box, and the run that via a JS Tech "Scart to component" convertor. The DVD will go (using component to VGA cable) to the VGA input. This means everythings connected using the best inputs I can get.

I should mention - my dvd player is actually a Sony DAVS550 - so I'm using that as an audio receiver for, emmm, audio(!) from my xbox and cable box. If you're upgrading your DVD player anyway (and don't have speakers yet either) it might be worth buying an "all in one" type set up like the Sony DAVS - you get 5.1 surround sound from DVD (and any other input with an optical output - like xbox) and Prologic 2 for the cable/sky sound. Which isn't bad given that it'll cost you about £250-ish.

ZedZed