AV receiver or Hi-Fi amp recommendation

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by svimes, Mar 11, 2013.

1. svimes

svimes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My kenwood hi-fi from the late 80s has given up. I use it for the following (in order of frequency)
    FM radio
    Stereo output for my TV
    Logitech Squeezebox touch

I have another Logitech Squeezebox touch in another room. I’d like to keep my old stereo speakers and I also have a PS/3 connected to the TV.
    Should I:

Get a DAB radio plus hi fi amp or
    DAB radio plus AV receiver or
    Get a micro system as I see things like this: Onkyo CR-N755 review from the experts at whathifi.com
    Budget around 300-400 gbp

Reason why I ask about the DAB as sometimes it's just easier switching on a radio, btw - can such a DAB system input into a logitech squeezbox and sync with the other logitech? I assume not.

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,437
    Do not think there are any AVRs with DAB, some have internet radio but not DAB.
    What speakers do you have? What is their impedance? DO they have any proprietary connectors etc?
    The micro system could be a good option (looking at one of these myself for my kitchen to connect to a TV etc.) if only wanting stereo and to keep the box count down.

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,958
  4. svimes

svimes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - the speakers came with a kenwood hi fi that is split into cassette, cd, graphic equalizer and amp, I am sure they are not ground breaking. Just to be clear was looking at DAB radio plus AV receiver though if it comes together in the V500D that sounds good.

Someone said get the pioneer VSX-922: it has a FM tuner. Am I losing much compared to DAB? I live in London btw.

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,958
    An FM radio tuner is analogue and would depend on analogue reception in your area. The audio via FM isn't of the standard associated with DAB, but this is turn is dependant upon the compression rate employed by the DAB broadcaster. Nearly all of the current AV receivers incorporate both an AM and FM analogue tuner or at least an FM tuner, hence the term receiver when refering to AV amps with inbuilt tuners. There's nothing unique about the Pioneer.

You may find this of interest:
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1077854

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013