1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Receiver or AV Amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Malice, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Malice

Malice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am still contemplating my naval when it comes to forking out some very hard earned dosh on new kit! It's like a minefield for a realtive n00b like me.

However, I have a conundrum....

As I already have an excellent FM tuner seperate (an old trusty Nytech) and as Sky carries many digital radio stations, I cannot see the point in buying an AV receiver with FM/AM capability. Particularly considering that that it is ostensibly old "analogue" technology. Now if it was a DAB tuner than that may be a different kettle of fish.

Are there any plans for AV Receivers to have DAB boards? It would make sense considering the rest of the digital platform.

What is the best budget AV Amp that people can recommend?

On a slightly different topic I have a question about video processing in AV receivers/amps.:-

I have a Sony 50" LCD RP TV that has 3 rear connections:

1 x RGB Scart
    2 x Composite Scart / or switchable S-Video

The TV cannot accept Component or progressive scan input.

My DVD has RGB output on Scart and provides a better picture over a S-Video connection. So my preferred connection is RGB.
    That being the case (in addition to flexible connections on the TV) am I right in thinking that I won't be making use of ANY of the video circuitry in any purchased receiver or amp? Or are there receivers / amps that handle RGB signals too? Is there any kit that will do all the sound processing and amplifying without having any Video components/circuitry?

TIA

Mal

Everyone is entitled to my opinion

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Naim Audio's processor will do the sound processing but can hardly be described as budget.
    What sort of figure did you have in mind,as the market is absolutely full of stuff at the moment.....for the most part,if you're not going to use the video circuitry inside an amp/receiver,it may be better,as none of the audio signals suffer from interference from the video circuitry.

3. Malice

Malice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe I am being unrealsitic, but if I can buy an AV Receiver for say £750 then I should be able to buy something for about the same but without all the "crap" I won't need or won't use.

Mal

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You will have great difficulty as the manufacturers have decided that only from about twice your figure will people not be interested in all the crap and would prefer musical fidelity instead.

£750 is still bells & whistles territory.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As Ian says,at that sort of price you have no choice at all over what the manufacturer chooses to load in to the receiver.....they're all in a tight market,and most buyers want all the bells and whistles they can get.

6. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    You might want to listen to the Yamaha DSP AZ2. It's a little over your budget but seems to be the only high powered av amp under a grand.

cookie