AV Receiver newbie setup!

ob1b

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a real rookie but I think I'm catching the AV bug! Im looking to make my first purchases and could do with some advice. I've just bought an Optoma HD65 projector and have a pretty old 32” Samsung LCD (which I cant afford to replace right now… thinking Ill wait for the new LED range to drop down a bit) so I've been looking at AV receivers and speakers to set up a budget home cinema with my projector.

In terms of speakers I've more or less decided on the Jamo A102HCS5 5.1 thinking Ill buy another pair later on to make it up to a 7.1. From what I've read you cant really get near them within that price range (£220).

In terms of an AV receiver to match, Ill be running my V+ box, Xbox elite with HD player/unit/thingy, a Wii , and my HD projector (possibly a laptop from time to time too and a blue ray some time in the future. I've been looking at the Sony STRDA2400ES and the Onkyo TX-SR606 or the 607 (depending on what the price difference is) at time of purchase. As far as I can tell, they're pretty evenly matched, but the Sony (IMO) looks a million times better… which im thinking may please the boss ;) So im leaning towards the Sony at the mo! What do you guys reckon to that setup? I don't want to spend more than £700 as I'm a newbie to all this and probably wont be able to see/hear much of what I'd be paying for beyond that amount anyway, but obviously I do want something that's going to be relatively future proof and flexible, and am keen on the up-scaling ability of both of these units. Should I go for the Sony 2400 and Jamo A102 combo??

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a Sony STRDA2400ES (from Richer Sounds, try giving them a call as supplied are erratic), with JBL CS460 speakers (small, sound good and the wife like how they look)

The Amps great, connected to Sky HD, my PS3 and Wii, go for it and let us know how you get on

The following would suit your needs:

Denon AVR 2309 £430
Sony STRDA2400ES £430
Pioneer VSX1018 £420
Yamaha RXV565 £415
Yamaha DSP-AX861SE £300
Onkyo TX-SR606 £350

The Onkyo TX-SR606 is particularly good value in comparison to its replacement the 607.

The price would also free up extra cash to go toward the speakers.

I'd suggest the Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 package for approx £400 or the KEF KHT1005.2 package that can be had for £230.

Last edited:
Cheers for the replies guys! I hate the idea of spending a lot of money (for me anyway) on any kit that im not going to be 100% happy with now or in a few years time, so I really want to get this one right!

I'm pretty sure I will be going for the Sony 2400es and will start the price search for best prices (suggestions?)… Having said that though, I've looked through the “New Kids on the Block” thread – Should I be waiting a month and considering one of those instead? And will the Sony 2400es drop significantly in price when these new amps are released? *sighs” I've never struggled to make my mind up on a bit of electronics before!

Secondly, where can I find the KEF KHT1005.2 for £230? Would you recommend these above the Jamo's to go with this amp?

Last edited by a moderator:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom