AV receiver newbie, set-up advice!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Gary561, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Gary561

Gary561
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to amps and set-ups but I have just bought a pioneer vsx-922 and using it to run a tannoy 5.1 sfx speaker set, my question is it doesn't seem very loud and I have to turn the amp volume up to about -19d.b how do I set-up correctly so it's louder at a lower volume?

I did run the auto mcacc.

Thanks in advance

Gary

2. MIFF INFIDELIUS

MIFF INFIDELIUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Try changing the MCACC to one of its 6 presets. I've had mine at 5 ( press the mcacc button repeatedly on your remote till memory, in my case 5, comes up ) as any other preset was too quiet. Have a play with DRC and other settings, like phase. There are quite few settings that can be adjusted so just have a play around to see what each does but first of all I'd re-check if all your wires are properly connected and that the right terminals are used.

EDIT - I've also re run the mcacc couple times till I was happy as each time the results were slightly different

3. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +950
    The amp is probably designed to provide 'reference level' volume when set to 0 dB... So running at -19dB for a sensible listening volume may well be correct.
    I think there may be a sticky that explains this, at the top of the sub-forum.

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    Can you get the amp to the volume you want/need? If so then does not matter what the display says then it is working fine. You only need to worry if you can not get the volume you require and/or you hear a lot of distortion.