Question AV Receiver - most appropriate for my needs?

rbrierle

Standard Member
Reaction score
Currently have a Panasonic 1080i plasma fed by a blu-ray player (also delivers Netflix), Now TV box, Amazon Fire stick and Xbox One S.

My last foray into surround sound was a number of years ago with an Onkyo 605 and a set of KEF KHT3005SEs.

I'm looking to upgrade the TV (for the purpose of this thread assume an LG OLED or Sony XE9305) and the sound. I've no interest in Atmos and whilst I would like support for 5.1, due to domestic considerations I am planning now for a 3.1 system.

To give you an idea of the sort of kit I've been considering, it's been along the lines of the Denon 2400 AV receiver and Monitor Audio Bronze centre and bookshelf left and right. I've been looking at alternatives but that gives you a sense of budget.

The part I'm looking for views on is the AV Receiver. The only reason I'm buying a receiver is to drive the three speakers and balance their positioning in the room. The TV itself is likely to have Netflix & Amazon apps built in. Now TV is 720 content anyway. A future UHD Bluray player could be one with dual HDMI outs avoiding the need for HDCP2.2 outs on the receiver (i.e. visual info direct to TV). I have no interest in other AV gadgets such as streaming and multi-room. Given all of this, does it make sense to look for an older AV receiver that will provide more bang for my buck in terms of TV/film sound?

I have a separate HiFi so music playback isn't particularly important.

Cheers

If you go for an older AVR, you may miss out on getting HD audio from the TV apps (or from any device connected directly to the TV) out of the TV and into the AVR. But for a 3.1 set-up, you may think that's not important?

I think if you are looking at receivers brand new then they are highly likely to have HDCP 2.2 as part of their specification. If secondhand then going for a decent older model could be viable as not having HDCP 2.2 would certainly drive down it's price somewhat. However quite how much benefit you would see in getting a "high end" old receiver and then pairing them up with the Monitor Audio Bronze range in a 3.1 I'm not too sure.

I think I would personally see if I could get something fairly cheaply from the last couple of years; either a Denon X3300W or similar Yamaha model depending on your listening preferences.

Yes, I guess what I'm thinking is if all sources are apps within the tv plus sources connecting direct to TV, then the only 'modern' feature I need is arc from TV to an receiver. I take your point re the value of a better receiver in the context of the budget speakers. Although having said that, my experience in hifi (which is far greater than av) is that speakers generally don't get to perform to their potential.

Yes, I guess what I'm thinking is if all sources are apps within the tv plus sources connecting direct to TV, then the only 'modern' feature I need is arc from TV to an receiver.
This puts you in a bit of an odd situation. The current version of ARC is limited to SD audio, plus some ARC connection support dolby digital plus (depends on the TV and the AVR).

However, the new eARC (enhanced ARC) supports HD audio, but for that you need a compatible AVR and TV, and they are brand new to the market, with the eARC feature to be 'activated' via a firmware update in the future. However, if you go for an AVR with that feature, then it will also do 4K / HDR video passthrough, so you can just connect your devices to the AVR anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I guess what I'm thinking is if all sources are apps within the tv plus sources connecting direct to TV, then the only 'modern' feature I need is arc from TV to an receiver. I take your point re the value of a better receiver in the context of the budget speakers. Although having said that, my experience in hifi (which is far greater than av) is that speakers generally don't get to perform to their potential.

Note that unless the TV is one of the most recent models then the implementation of ARC it uses will not be able to output HD formats commonly used on Blu-ray and UHD discs. Likewise, only the most current AV receivers will be getting an update that gives them eARC capabilities needed to convey HD formats via ARC.

Thanks guys, I wasn't aware of the ARC/eARC distinction so that is helpful. I suspect I will end up going the conventional route and paying for bells and whistles I don't need.

So does that mean that if I buy a 2017 LG OLED for example then (if Netflix et al stream HD audio in the first place) you are unable to pass it to a receiver?

FWIW, I’ve had two different 5.1 receivers - but now I’m considering the soundbar route instead. My reason? To get away from the multiple box count in my lounge, and the subsequent cabling cluttering the room.

Take, for example, the Samsung MS650. You can start with just the soundbar, then add a Wireless Subwoofer later if you want (for a 3.1 system). Later still, add wireless rear surrounds.

For me, I was seriously impressed by the Bose Soundtouch 300 soundbar. On its own, you’d think there was already a subwoofer in the room. Again, you can add a subwoofer later and rear surrounds as your budget and preferences change.

Thanks guys, I wasn't aware of the ARC/eARC distinction so that is helpful. I suspect I will end up going the conventional route and paying for bells and whistles I don't need.

So does that mean that if I buy a 2017 LG OLED for example then (if Netflix et al stream HD audio in the first place) you are unable to pass it to a receiver?

Netflix don't encode anything with HD audio. THe most you'll get via Netflix is Dolby Digital Plus. You can also get this with Atmos metadata included, but you've already said that you are not interested in Atmos. The HD formats would only come into play in association with content on Blu-ray and UHD discs. You'd be unable to pass this through a TV if both it and the receiver aren't eARC compliant.

@dante01 - thanks

@spinaltap - yes I've also considered the soundbar route - currys and John Lewis are doing the sub 'free' with the MS750. However it's still £800. For that I could get a s/h entry level receiver (e.g. Denon x2300h), s/w BK sub (e.g. xls200) and LCR speakers - my gut feel without having compared is that the latter would be better and with limited cable trailing.

I relate to your downsizing/wires trailing - it's why currently I'm looking at 3.1 as the hassle/intrusion of 5.1/7.1/Atmos etc isn't worth the disruption for me. I did the surround thing 10+ years ago and can't really be bothered anymore.

You can actually get a Denon AVRX1400 for about £330 now and this is part of Denon's current line up. I'd suggest this as opposed to their entry level 5.1 model simply because it includes Audyssey room EQ which the entry level model lacks. You can theoretically buy a 7 channel receiver and a reasonable 5.1 speaker package for what you'd be paying for a soundbar.

Dolby Digital Plus is the best you can get from streaming services at the moment, but we don't know if HD audio will be implemented at a later date. Dolby Digital Plus can work with standard ARC on *some* TV's and AVR's, but you need to read the relevant manuals to check. Plus standard ARC is quite flakey on some devices, this is something that eARC is supposed to fix.

I relate to your downsizing/wires trailing - it's why currently I'm looking at 3.1 as the hassle/intrusion of 5.1/7.1/Atmos etc isn't worth the disruption for me. I did the surround thing 10+ years ago and can't really be bothered anymore.
An AVR will give you the option of expanding from 3.1 to 5.1 at a later date, if you think the audio improvements it provides trumps the hassle of running a couple of extra speakers to the back of the room.

Yes aware thanks. I've had 5.1 in the past, downsized from that to soundbar and connected sub, that broke and now starting again. One thing that means me away from soundbar/sub packages is that you've less options when one component fails.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom