AV Receiver issue, Projector Issue, or Both???

DJTipster

Hi guys, wondering if anyone can help with this please...

We have a Pioneer VSX 922 AV receiver which is now 8 years old.

We also have a Optoma HD131Xe projector which is 7 years old.

Recently when turning the projector on, the whole thing is completely unwatchable. We get a completely blank screen. There is no picture that comes out of the projector at all. It literally is completely unwatchable. You can hear the sound of whatever is on coming out of the connected AV receiver speakers but there is no picture shown on the projector screen at all.

I have tried different HDMI cables, and tried different HDMI input ports in the projector. Exactly the same. Nothing. Just a black projector screen.

We do however can get the settings menu up on the screen on the projector - just never what is playing at the time...

Now, here is where things start to get VERY confusing/interesting...

If I completely put the projector off and revert back to watching Sky Q via HDMI pass-through on the AV receiver then that doesn't work either! Even though it worked perfectly right before putting the projector on!

So I have to carry out a factory reset on the receiver EVERY TIME and then the HDMI pass through (or direct HDMI from receiver to TV) works again. As soon as I plug in the projector, put the projector on then... bang. We are back to square one and nothing works again.

So which is the problem??? The AV receiver, the projector, or both???

The AV receiver seems to work absolutely fine until the projector turns on and the whole thing seems to forget how to live.

I just don't get it.

Help would be massively appreciated

Hi guys, wondering if anyone can help with this please...

We have a Pioneer VSX 922 AV receiver which is now 8 years old.

We also have a Optoma HD131Xe projector which is 7 years old.

Recently when turning the projector on, the whole thing is completely unwatchable. We get a completely blank screen. There is no picture that comes out of the projector at all. It literally is completely unwatchable. You can hear the sound of whatever is on coming out of the connected AV receiver speakers but there is no picture shown on the projector screen at all.

I have tried different HDMI cables, and tried different HDMI input ports in the projector. Exactly the same. Nothing. Just a black projector screen.

We do however can get the settings menu up on the screen on the projector - just never what is playing at the time...

Now, here is where things start to get VERY confusing/interesting...

If I completely put the projector off and revert back to watching Sky Q via HDMI pass-through on the AV receiver then that doesn't work either! Even though it worked perfectly right before putting the projector on!

So I have to carry out a factory reset on the receiver EVERY TIME and then the HDMI pass through (or direct HDMI from receiver to TV) works again. As soon as I plug in the projector, put the projector on then... bang. We are back to square one and nothing works again.

So which is the problem??? The AV receiver, the projector, or both???

The AV receiver seems to work absolutely fine until the projector turns on and the whole thing seems to forget how to live.

I just don't get it.

Help would be massively appreciated
HDMI CEC ?

DJTipster

Sorry mate I dont really know what that is... one remote control or something?

Slight update - so today I plugged my laptop into the projector via the same HDMI cable and it worked !

So this is suggesting an issue with just the AV receiver?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Which HDMI cables are you using and how long are they?

It sound like you may have an HDCP issue as your ‘working’ Sources are likely not invoking HDCP and your ‘not working’ are.

Simplify to test the system - Source > Projector via HDMI and where possible run a separate audio cable from the Source to the AVR.

Joe

DJTipster

Thanks for the reply Joe. Good shout actually something I haven't yet tried. I will do source to projector and seperate the sound cable.

The HDMI cable is one from Amazon which I have had for years. Its 5m long. I did try with a much newer and much shorter HDMI cable but still got the same issues on that so discounted any issues with the HDMI cable to be fair

DJTipster

Plugged the projector in direct to the source - SkyQ box - via HDMI and the exact same things is going on. I had a picture for a moment and then the next minute it went all of a fuzzy grey and screen/picture went off. Couldn't get a picture again. Seems like I need a new projector

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Are you ensuring the SKY Q box is set to Output 720p, 1080i or 1080p - you can try HOME > 1-0-8-0 > Home on the remote.

Joe

DJTipster

This is selected 1080p as you can see on the attached pic. It has always been 1080p and worked perfectly so i don't understand why that would be an issue now as nothing has changed mate?

Attachments

• 20210309_183953.jpg
    20210309_183953.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 9

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom