AV receiver help

romy9923

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I got a couple of recommendations from user Hoku for an AV receiver. I'm looking to add a center speaker to two KEF Q-series speakers I have. I7ll use this to watch sports/movie on TV and listed to mp3s/streaming. His recommendations look great but are too pricey for me. He recommended the Bluesound powernode and the Marantz NR1711 but I'm in Italy and they are very expensive here ( ~€1000). Cheapest thing here is Auna AMP-H260 at ~€ 180 but never heard of that brand. Higher up is the Pioneer VSX-422-K at € 330 and higher still is the Yamaha RX-V4A at € 600. Any thoughts on those options?
For the center, friends here mentioned the Indiana Line 740-X. It's an Italian brand but meant to be quite good.

The VSX 422 should have enough power and basic features though it is a rather aged model now. I wouldn't go near the Auna I think.

The Centre you mention is a simple 2 way MTM design and many such designs do have some problems with clarity - especially if the listener is not directly in front. And although it's not essential to have the Centre speaker as the same brand as the L/R speakers I would be a little concerned how that would blend with the coaxial KEFs. It could be worth trying your KEFs with a 'phantom centre' first (i.e. the sense of a sound source from the centre of a stereo speaker configuration) to see if you get on with that - you may get a better result than trying to force a mismatched Centre into the mix. You would just need to experiment a little with the L/R speaker placement to get it to work but that shouldn't be a big deal and may end up saving you money. Another option would be to try to get hold of the same speaker as your L/R if space allows for that.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom