• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question AV receiver help

MrR0b0T

Prominent Member
Hi,

Having only used soundbars for my audio needs I need a bit of help / advise in setting up my audio to show Glastonbury outdoors on a PJ.
I'm in the process of purchasing a cheap amp (onkyo 608 or similar) .

Currently I have 3 sets of stereo left & right speaker's (Bose x 4, Kef x 2 and a Mordant short center speaker) all are 8ohms
Most of the broadcast is 5.1 but I'm not going to be using the surround channels. Also some video content I want to show is only stereo so want to make use of all the speaker's. What's the best way for me to set this up.

Can I use a 3.0 config and run the front left&right speaker's in series? Or is there a way to reassign the centre surround channels or utilise a zone 2 to run the additional speaker's.

Sorry for the noobness of the question, any advise greatly received.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 39241

Hi, you could use all of your 7 speakers and run a 7 channel surround sound set-up, so front left and right, center, left and right surrounds, and left and right surround backs.

Then you could use an upmixer on the receiver (eg pro logic) to expand any stereo audio, or 5.1 audio to utilize all 7 speakers by creating pseudo surround channels. I do this all the time in my main room and it sounds very good.

Is that not what you want to do?

D

Deleted member 39241

Good luck! Most amps have a 'party mode' up mixer option as well, mine is called 'all channels stereo' which means that instead of using the surround speakers for the effect / surround sounds, it replicates the main audio to them. It makes it much louder, but you don't get the same placement of audio.

It might work for your situation though. You should be able to just flick through the different upmixers and see what you like the sound of best.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom