AV Receiver Help ASAP (Budget upto £700)

Amorris

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So my Denon AVRX2300W has given up, had it since 2016. Tested Multiple TVs, Cables, Inputs, Resets… Red/pink tint on video.

So i need a new AV Receiver…

Id rather avoid Denon unless someone pushes hard that I should go for it, as my last two have died.

I’m considering Yamaha RX-V4A or 6A. (not sure if it’s worrth paying extra for 6A worth my use?)

I run 5.1 KEF 3005SE, no real need for anymore than 4 HDMI inputs. Doubt I’ll go 7.1. Has to have HDMI 2.1 for future consoles. Watch mostly TV and Film, very little music.

Some recommendations would help for impeding Black Friday as I’ll be pulling trigger.

I leave myself in all of your capable hands, guide me jedis.

The Yamaha or a Denon X2700. I doubt very much if Black Friday will bring any deals, there's simply not enough stock and units are at a premium. If you find one buy it.

The Yamaha or a Denon X2700. I doubt very much if Black Friday will bring any deals, there's simply not enough stock and units are at a premium. If you find one buy it.

So no real major reason not to go Yamaha RXV6A vs X2700?

What about 4a?

The 4A is just a five channel amp, so capability wise a notch below the X2700. Price wise the 6A and the X2700 is now ridiculously close, £649 and £679 respectively. I don't think you go wrong with either especially with the 3005 Eggs. Having owned the Eggs alongside a Denon amp they do pair really well. I've got to be honest, looking at those prices I'm more than a little shocked. The market has gone crazy.

You know the Denon's signature with the KEFs and the X2700 is going to leaps and bounds ahead of what you are hearing now. You really just need to listen to a Yamaha but stock is really erratic, SSaV which I just looked at don't have stock of either.

Best of luck in your search.

It should be noted that despite the Yamaha model including 3 HDMI 2.1 8K/4K 120Hz compliant inputs, they are capped at just 24Gbps. The DEnon's single *K inputs can handle up to 40Gbps and the Denon also has 2 40Gbps outputs compared to the Yamaha's one 24Cbps output.

I can only suggest you take you time and study which would best suit your needs before then pre ordering one. You may have a long wait regardless of which you choose.

What about the Denon avr-x1700 due out end of November?

7.1 or 5.1.2 with 6 hdmi inputs of which 3 are 40Gbs and 3 are hdmi 2.0 but only a single 40Gbs hdmi out.

Or if you don't see yourself going 7.1 or 5.1.2 then the Denon avr-s660 is 5.1 with 3 hdmi 40Gbs inputs. The s760 sits between the two with 7.1/5.1.2 capability but loses zone 2 and slightly better auddessy that x1700 has. Although again neither released yet in the UK.

Last edited:
What’s better with the S760’s Audyssey?
The X1700H has MultEQ XT, the S760 standard MultEQ.

What’s better with the S760’s Audyssey?
The X1700H has MultEQ XT, the S760 standard MultEQ.
Nothing. That what I was saying it has the same multi eq as the s660 rather than multi eq xt that the x1700 has. It also doesn't have zone 2 preout capability that the x1700 has as you can only set the s760 up as either 7.1 or 5.1 + 2ch zone 2 as it uses the rear surrounds as it's zone 2 output.

Thanks for the advice all. Massively appreciated.

So are these prices just a symptom of Covid and chip shortage @gibbsy , expected to return to normality eventually?

Wondering whether I just keep running current receiver for audio, plug stuff directly into TV and HDMI Arc sound back. Until prices come back.

Wondering whether I just keep running current receiver for audio, plug stuff directly into TV and HDMI Arc sound back. Until prices come back.

That might be a plan but there's no guarantee normality will return anytime soon, even as shortages start to lessen demand will still be very high from all the people currently waiting to upgrade.

I hope you don't think I'm rude in asking but what ventilation does your AVR have? Seems very bizarre to have two Denons fail in such a short time.

I have an AVR-1910 still going strong with no faults in our spare room and got our son in law and AVR-3802 for his birthday two years ago that still runs flawlessly.

I'm not asking to be rude, I'm just asking to make sure you don't get a new AVR and that only lasts a couple of years :)

View attachment 1604246I hope you don't think I'm rude in asking but what ventilation does your AVR have? Seems very bizarre to have two Denons fail in such a short time.

I have an AVR-1910 still going strong with no faults in our spare room and got our son in law and AVR-3802 for his birthday two years ago that still runs flawlessly.

I'm not asking to be rude, I'm just asking to make sure you don't get a new AVR and that only lasts a couple of years :)

Haha yeah bud don’t worry fair question. Na my AV receiver sits out in open. (See pic below)

I believe it might be a HDMI output chip failure. I have had this one since 2016.

Attachments

• E0D297E0-5716-4AAE-B115-5B62A67A308B.jpeg
    E0D297E0-5716-4AAE-B115-5B62A67A308B.jpeg
    411.3 KB · Views: 61

This could be one option and then look next year what the new models will have when they are introduced spring/summer. Naturally these models sold now would go on sale if availability is normal. Unlikely that we see any good deals for receivers this black friday/cyber monday, but hopefully i`m wrong..

I would also do few changes. Get the center channel on top of the av-unit either at the front edge or mount it just under tv on wall although bit tight with the av-receiver, now it looks like it`s at knee height so far from optimal for a speaker that carries the most information with films. Second thing i would move the subwoofer to right side away from the opening which is one of the worst spots. Front right corner or thereabouts if that is possible.

This could be one option and then look next year what the new models will have when they are introduced spring/summer. Naturally these models sold now would go on sale if availability is normal. Unlikely that we see any good deals for receivers this black friday/cyber monday, but hopefully i`m wrong..

I would also do few changes. Get the center channel on top of the av-unit either at the front edge or mount it just under tv on wall although bit tight with the av-receiver, now it looks like it`s at knee height so far from optimal for a speaker that carries the most information with films. Second thing i would move the subwoofer to right side away from the opening which is one of the worst spots. Front right corner or thereabouts if that is possible.

I'd suggest that there will be any excess stocks of AV receivers to put on sale if and when any new models are first announced and then launched? I'd seriously not expect the same discounts that you've seen previously.

Neither is it looking as though prices in general will be falling for any consumer goods this year or next. If anything, it is looking more and more like prices for everything will and are rising.

Last edited:
I'd suggest that there will be any excess stocks of AV receivers to put on sale if and when any new models are first announced and then launched? I'd seriously not expect the same discounts that you've seen previously.

Neither is it looking as though prices in general will be falling for any consumer goods this year or next. If anything, it is looking more and more like prices for everything will and are rising.

If there is normal stock situation some decent discounts should be possible, but yeah nothing like we saw few years ago example Denon X2x00H went for 299£ before discontinued and Denon X3500H for 599£ with X4500H for 750-800£ or something like that.. Damn those were low prices!

Indeed. You only have to look at the Denon x1700 RRP at £599 compared to the x2700 £679. Granted some of that is down to former being multi 2.1 in compared to single hdmi 2.1 in on the latter but given the other extras in the x2700 its still showing new models RRPs are increasing :(

Well thanks all.

I’m gonna keep my current receiver and just arc back the sound and run HDMI direct to TV. Not ideal but with current receiver availability I may aswell.

I’ll keep an eye out and if one comes up well priced over next 6-12 months I’ll spring on it. Also within a year HDMI 2.1 may be a bit more bedded in. Surprised AV Receivers aren’t ahead in this regard, they normally are.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom