• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AV Receiver Headphone Amp quality ?

Subliminal Aura

Hi gents,

I recently purchased a Fiio E10 usb dac headphone amp and have been more than impressed by the quality when connected to my laptop.

Now I want to do the same for my desktop PC but am not sure of the route I should follow. The Xonar budget soundcards don't impress me other than the dx2 so I've been toying with the idea of feeding an AV amp with the coax out from my motherboard.

What do you guys think ? Good or bad idea - Will it sound good or are the headphone stages on AV amps poor.

Also a very dumb question - can I have both the headphone output and speakers on at the same time ?

Any help/thoughts would be most welcome :thumbsup:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Most AV reciever as far as I know stop the speaker output as soon as you plug in the headphones. I also do not think they have great headphone amps inside them (even the more expensive ones). Whay not buy a proper headphone amp?

Subliminal Aura

Most AV reciever as far as I know stop the speaker output as soon as you plug in the headphones. I also do not think they have great headphone amps inside them (even the more expensive ones). Whay not buy a proper headphone amp?

Thanks, this is the type of confirmation that I'm looking for. I always had the feeling that the headphone stage wouldn't be satisfactory.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom