• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AV receiver good for music with automatic input detection?

sgzmd

Standard Member
Dear all,

I'm looking to buy an AV receiver. I'll try to give details about my existing config to start with:

1. 46" Samsung LED TV
  2. Virgin HD box
  3. ZBox mini-computer with HDMI output for Boxee - main source of video
  4. Belkin bluetooth music receiver - main source of casual audio
  5. Optical cable from my ZBox and MacBook Pro - main source of quality audio
So, since there're plenty of audio sources I'm wondering if there's a receiver which can automatically detect which source is active and switch to it? (I'm a complete noob and may be speaking non-sense, I know). Also, I'm looking to fit it into reasonable amount of money, say around £250-300 so will consider second-hand stuff as well.

I'm primarily listening to music and planning to start with 2.0 or 2.1 but in nearest future want to extend it to proper 5.1 for movies, which are rather important as well.

Any ideas? Many thanks!

mentm

The only auto switching feature available is hdmi control and this seems to cause more problems than it solves in the long run.

In the end most go for a remote with activities which automate the switching for you, I use a hamony one, but you could also consider the harmony 650 or 700.

sgzmd

Standard Member
Pity. I had Logitech Harmony, don't remember exact version though – at that time I decided it's too unreliable and causes too many troubles.

mentm

Once they are setup correctly they are really easy to use and I find them reliable.

With one press i can turn on, tv, sky and receiver and select correct input on tv and receiver. Probably overkill if you only have a couple of devices but I now wouldn't be without mine.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom