AV Receiver for stereo use?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sten, Oct 20, 2004.

1. sten

sten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

Being too busy with work for some years (wow, time just goes too quickly), I haven't followed the whole evolution in hifi and AV equipment, so I need some help from you pros :)

Can AV Receivers (such as the Denon 3805) work in stereo mode with just two speakers? I.e. do they offer a stereo mode where they convert the various surround sound formats to stereo, and do any of them do this with a reasonably good result?

For space saving reasons, I would love to just have one box, i.e. an AV Receiver that will ideally provide excellent stereo audio sound and excellent movie stereo sound (and if I decide to buy some surround speakers, also excellent movie surround sound).

My ideal budget is £500 to £1000 approximately. It must have a radio receiver built-in (again, space saving).

And two additional questions:

Do all medium and high end AV Receivers have a radio receiver built-in. And if so, would that normally be analogue or digital radio?

Do any AV Receivers support radio via Freeview without a Freeview box?

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

Sten - imported to the UK from Denmark

2. sten

sten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, got some answers from reading previous posts.

I think I better visit some demo rooms to listen myself to find out if I can live with an AV amp. for stereo music playback.

3. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Most modern receivers to the best of my knowledge can work in a "pure" stereo mode which doesn't run the signal through the receiver's A/D, DSP and D/A circuitry. This is certainly true of all the Arcam models, AVR200, 250 and 300, the first two of which are in your price range. We strongly believe they are better in terms of absolute sound quality than the competition :)

All tuners in receivers are currently AM/FM. There are, as yet, no DAB versions and certainly none that use Freeview as a source of digital radio.

Hope this helps,

John Dawson (Arcam)

4. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just done the same upgrade. The Denon and the Arcam were my short listed two (wanted to try Yamaha and Pioneer but couldn't find them locally). In the end I went for the Denon 3805. Works great in stereo and 5.1. I'm also runing a second zone and all is well. I have always been a big fan of Arcam as it was their kit that I've ugraded from. This time though, trying the amp and matching dvd combination I just preferred the Denon. The Arcam combination does get better reviews (for stereo) so let your own ears be the judge and happy hunting.

p.s. I think an integrated DAB tuner is long overdue in these £1000+ units. The chipset is not expensive and even if they added £100 or so to the unit I would still have bought it to save having to get a separate unit. It's got to go that way soon.

5. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also try the Marantz SR7400...
    I prefered it's sound to the 3805 sound, and it's cheaper.

At around this prices Marantz and NAD are usually the most musical AV Receivers...
    At upper price levels I would't buy a receiver but a stereo power amp for the front speakers...

6. sten

sten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John Dawson and braehead,

Thanks for your replies. Very useful information for me and certainly indicates it's the right way to go in my case. I have a reasonably big living room, but the layout of the room (windows, fire place, doors etc) means that I'm very limited with regards to placing plasma and speakers. This means I cannot place speakers ideally in any way, anyway, so a huge set of individual units would be wasted under all circumstances.

I'll be looking at Arcam, Denon and Yamaha. Based on your comments, sounds like Arcam may be the way forward. A match with my "CD-player" is not possible, unless I choose a Sony receiver - I'll be using a Sony HX1000 for CD audio playback (yes, yes, I know it's probably not the best in the world for that, but it does DVD/HDD recording/playback and CD audio playback in one unit, which is great for me, even with the shortcomings mentioned in another forum here about the HX900/HX1000 - out of topic for this forum).

When I've chosen a receiver I'll be back with questions about the best speakers for it. That's what you get for helping out :D :D

Thanks a lot for your help :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

7. sten

sten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Falp, Right. A confirmation to what I had figured myself, that going to buy a much more expensive receiver would probably not be worth it compared to buying a separate stereo amp. Notes about Marantz and NAD noted. Thanks :thumbsup:

8. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At upper levels Rotel and Arcam... if it was worth the price (I don't think so)...
    Forget Yamaha for stereo use, have a listen to Marantz, NAD or even Denon...
    If you go to Denon try no to go to metallic tweeters (bright sounding speakers).

Afterwards if you think you need you can try some stereo or monoblock power amp if it improves SQ...

9. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sten,

I have had the Denon 3805 and Yamaha 2400 for home demo recently and found the Yamaha more to my taste. However, I do not think there is too much to separate AV receivers in this price bracket - surround sound or 2-channel performance.

It may be worth waiting for the Yamaha RX-V2500 before buying an alternative. The new Marantz range is coming out soon also.

I will try the Yammy 2500 along with the Arcam AVR300 once I get my Arcam FMJ-DV27A DVD player.

Cheers

Mark

10. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I wouldnt write off the Yamaha range in stereo anymore. I had a blind test with a friend from my old arcam alpha stereo amp and my 1400 in direct stereo and we both prefered the sounds the Yamaha makes. :smahin:

The advantage the 3805 and arcam 300 has is if you only run 5.1 you can bi amp the front speakers fromt he unused rear channels that will improve the stereo ability even more (as long as your speakers are bi-wirable). If Yamaha havent implemented this in there new amps I think they are shooting themselves in the foot:(

11. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  12. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: