AV Receiver for Sony SAVS310?

uniten

Standard Member
Hi, I recently ordered a Sony SAVS310 which will come in a few days. I am kind of new with all this stuff.

Initially though I want to just test it to make sure it works. Is the only option to hook it up to an av receiver or can I hook it up to my pc and test to make sure everything works?

Can I use any receiver or some speakers don't work with all receivers? (Since its a 5.1 setup with each piece taking up 100 watts I think I need a 600watt receiver with 100watts per channel from my understanding ). But otherwise I can hook up any receiver to those speakers right? My goal is to use these with pc and tv so I am guessing I need HDMI pass through right? Is 3D HDMI required for 3D video or any HDMI will do?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You will need an AV receiver to use those speakers. There is no need to get a 600W receiver. 100W is a max the speaker can handle before breaking and there is no need to match this figure to the output of the receiver. Any receiver will be more than adequate to power them. You need 1.4HDMI receiver to get 3D but there is no such thing as a 1.4HDMI cable, what you need is a high speed HDMI cable to ensure 3D capability.
They are not the greatest speakers in the world so I would look at the budget end of the market i.e. Onkyo 309/509, Yamaha 371/471 or Sony 520/820.

uniten

Standard Member
What about other brands like Denon, Pioneer, Samsung, Harman and etc, are they any good? or Onkyo, Yamaha and Sony are better?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Denon, Haram and Pioneer would be comparable but I would steer clear of Samsung/LG etc. although I do not think they do standalone AV receivers at the moment. Sony/Onkyo may be the best options assuming the Sony speakers are designed for Sony receivers.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom