AV Receiver for PS5

dante01

Distinguished Member
You'd get everything associated with HDMI version 2.1 from the PS5 if connected directly to an HDMI input on amn HDMI version 2.1 compliant TV. THe AV receiver doesn't need to be HDMI version 2./1 compliaant for such a setup because the source vide isn't being passed through said AV receiver. THe issue you'd have with older AV receivers would relate to how you'd then access the audio being passed through the TV and out to the AV receiver. Games consoles use multichannel PCM trelative to game audio and this cannot be conveyed via either S/PDIF optical or via standard ARC. You'd therefore want both the TV and the AV receiver to be eARC compliant so that you'd be able to pass the multichannel PCM audio sourced via the PS5 through the TV and out to the eARC enabled AV receiver.

Some more recent AV receivers that pre date HDMI version 2.1 include eARC.

Last edited:

StartWars

Novice Member
Thanks for the detailed info. I take it the Denon and Yamaha systems support this? Is this usually an advertised feature?

dante01

Distinguished Member
eARC has been available onboard most AV receivers for the last few years. Many models incorporating the more recent HDMI v2.0b HDMI chipsets could and were updated to give them eARC capabilities. All new HDMI version 2.1 equipped AV receivers will and do include it.

StartWars

Novice Member
Will it not work if I plugged my devices into a TV with HDMI 2.1 and then just plugged the AV receiver into the TV to use as audio or would there still be a compromise on my older receiver?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED EVO Review (OLED65G1)
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom