AV Receiver for PS5

StartWars

Novice Member
I recently got a PlayStation 5 but only have a 1080P TV so I am thinking of upgrading to a 4K TV to get the most out of it. If I can afford it, I may get either an LG CX OLED or Sony A8H series in a couple of months as lots of people have recommended them.

Currently, I play my sound through a set of Tannoy TFX 5.1 speakers, a BK Gemini subwoofer, and a Pioneer VSX323 AV receiver. My receiver has 4K passthrough but I understand that some older receivers don't support 4K content with HDCP 2.2 protection - I bought the receiver in 2013.

If I also need to upgrade my AV receiver, does anyone have any recommendations for my setup that supports PS5 and complements my current speakers? Since it will be connected to my PS5, will the receiver need to also support HDMI 2.1? I'm not bothered about 120fps as long as it still displays in 4K and HDMI.

It will be used for gaming, watching movies, and listening to vinyl records, so it also needs to have good stereo sound if possible. Probably looking at a budget of around £200-£300 since the LG CX TVs are expensive.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
It depends on whether yoiu want to passthrough the 4K/120Hz video that the Ps5 can handle? You'd need one of the new HDMI version 2.1 equipped AV receivers to allow this. Note that not all games will include 4K/120Hz video though, but you may benefit from some of the other games features associated with HDMI version 2.1?

Which model I'd suggest would depend upon whether or not you'd be interested in expanding your current 5.1 setup to encompass Atmos? Ypu'd need at least a 7.1 AVR if wanting an Atmos setup.

I'd also suggest your proposed budget too low. You are going to need at least double that.

Zarf2007

Denon x2700 should do it if you up your budget and will allow 5.1.2 atmos, will also do up to 4K/120hz on PS5

Last edited:

StartWars

Novice Member
It depends on whether yoiu want to passthrough the 4K/120Hz video that the Ps5 can handle? You'd need one of the new HDMI version 2.1 equipped AV receivers to allow this. Note that not all games will include 4K/120Hz video though, but you may benefit from some of the other games features associated with HDMI version 2.1?

Which model I'd suggest would depend upon whether or not you'd be interested in expanding your current 5.1 setup to encompass Atmos? Ypu'd need at least a 7.1 AVR if wanting an Atmos setup.

I'd also suggest your proposed budget too low. You are going to need at least double that.

I'm hoping to get a 4K TV soon so I'm looking for one that supports 4K passthrough. 120hz isn't a priority - will an AV receiver without HDMI 2.1 still support PS5 in 4K and HDR? I'm not looking to upgrade my speakers just yet but if I do I'll probably stick with 5.1.

dante01

Distinguished Member
AV receiver's equipped with HDMI cersion 2.0a or HDMI version 2.0b that preceeded those wquipped with HDMI version 2,1 will fascilitatate passing through 4K UHD encoded video with a frame rate up to 60Hz. They'd also include support for HDR10, Dolby Vision and HLG HDR. They'd not however include support for DR10+, but the PS5 doesn't include support for Dolby Vision or HDR10+ anyway.

If not bothered about Atmos then maybe look at Yamaha's new RXV4A model. This is a 5.1 AVR inclusive of HDMI version 2.1, but the HDMI version 2.1 capabilities are not as yet activated and wont be until later this year.

Last edited:

Zarf2007

I'm hoping to get a 4K TV soon so I'm looking for one that supports 4K passthrough. 120hz isn't a priority - will an AV receiver without HDMI 2.1 still support PS5 in 4K and HDR? I'm not looking to upgrade my speakers just yet but if I do I'll probably stick with 5.1.
The Denon 2600 will do 4K/60hz with HDR,

dante01

Distinguished Member
The Denon 2600 will do 4K/60hz with HDR,

Yes. AS would its predecessor and any model from the same period not equipped with HDMI version 2.1.

StartWars

Novice Member
What is stereo support like on these AV receivers for turntables? Ideally I would prefer a dedicated stereo system as they don't always sound great on my current 5.1 receiver. Not many places seem to be stocking the Denon so I assume it's an older model?

Also does anyone know if my current Pioneer VSX323 supports 4K?

dante01

Distinguished Member
You'd not get any integral support for a turntable on the RXV4A.

You could however instogate the connection of a turntable to any of the V4A's stereo RCA inputs using an external turntable pre amp.

Amazon product

If wanting an integral phono stage onboard the amp then you'd need the RXV6A. The Denon AVRX2700 also includes an integral phono stage.

dante01

Distinguished Member

It wouldn't facilitate the conveyance of commercial 4K UHD encoded video protected by HDCP version 2.2 or higher and will not handle 4K with a frame ratye above 30Hz. The basic answer is no, it wouldn't be practical to regard it as being 4K compliant.

Last edited:

StartWars

Novice Member
You'd not get any integral support for a turntable on the RXV4A.

You could however instogate the connection of a turntable to any of the V4A's stereo RCA inputs using an external turntable pre amp.

Amazon product

If wanting an integral phono stage onboard the amp then you'd need the RXV6A. The Denon AVRX2700 also includes an integral phono stage.
I should have mentioned I already have an external phono stage plugged into my current AV receiver so that's not a problem.

Zarf2007

What is stereo support like on these AV receivers for turntables? Ideally I would prefer a dedicated stereo system as they don't always sound great on my current 5.1 receiver. Not many places seem to be stocking the Denon so I assume it's an older model?

the denon is a couple of years old, most AVRs are bad at playing stereo music, you need a decent stereo amp, ideally with HT passthrough for that.

Last edited:

StartWars

Novice Member
I only have one set of speakers which are connected to my current AV surround sound receiver. Is there a way around this if I also wanted to hook up a stereo receiver as well?

Zarf2007

I only have one set of speakers which are connected to my current AV surround sound receiver. Is there a way around this if I also wanted to hook up a stereo receiver as well?

you can either purchase a stereo amp with HT bypass which allows you to use one set of speakers with the AVR and stereo amp or the cheaper option is to buy one of these switches:

StartWars

Novice Member
Do stereo receivers typically have phono stages preinstalled? If so, can I still use my external one as I already bought one?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Many stereo integrated amplifiers still include a phono stage. You'd still be able to use your external phono stage, but don't cionnect it to the inputs labelled PHONO on an amplifier that has an integral phono stage of its own. You'd simply connect to to any of the other stereo RCA inputs on the amp.

StartWars

Novice Member
Thanks for the info. Do you have any recommendations for a stereo amp and AV receiver costing around £200-£300 each?

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'm assuming you are wanting to use them independantly as opposed to having the integrated stereo amp act as a power amp? If not then you'd need an AV receiver that includes front left and right channel pre outs which you'd need more money for. If not then the previously mentioned Yamaha RXV485 AV receiver should suit your requirements. THis would be about £90 over your proposed budget though. If wanting the most recent equavalent then you'd want the RXV4A which retails for £450.

Finding a good quality stereo integrated amp for under £500 is a little bit harder to achieve. Maybe have a scout about in the classifieds?

Last edited:

StartWars

Novice Member
I'm assuming you are wanting to use them independantly as opposed to having the integrated stereo amp act as a power amp? If not then you'd need an AV receiver that includes front left and right channel pre outs which you'd need more money for. If not then the previously mentioned Yamaha RXV485 AV receiver should suit your requirements. THis would be about £90 over your proposed budget though. If wanting the most recent equavalent then you'd want the RXV4A which retails for £450.

Finding a good quality stereo integrated amp for under £500 is a little bit harder to achieve. Maybe have a scout about in the classifieds?
I would use the AV receiver more often for gaming and watching films. The stereo amp would be connected to the setup in the next room if that helps. Why are stereo amps more expensive than 5.1 AV receivers that have more functionality?

dante01

Distinguished Member
To put this into context, you'd need to spend at least double if not trble the cost of a stereo integrated amplifier in order to get anywhere close to the same stereo performance.

Bells and whistles make lots of noise, but also compromise the AV receiver's stereo performance. Why else would you yourself be wanting to have 2 seperate setups?

You can pick up stereo integrated amps for less, but the better sounding ones start from around the £500 mark. The PM6007 would be my recommendation, but this is above your budget. The Rega iO is more affordable, but also very basic. It would be limited as to its power and connection options, but is well regarded as far as its performance is concerned. You can get one for abot 380 while the Marantz retails for about £470. Another option worth a look at is the £300 Cambridge Audio AXA35 or the £400 NAD D3020V2.

Zarf2007

for £100 more the denon 2600 is better in every way

dante01

Distinguished Member
If wishing to improve upon the audio performance then updating asnd replacing your current speakers would ne advisable. The speakers are the element that will more than likely alter the way a setup sounds.

StartWars

Novice Member
The speakers are probably the last component I'm likely to upgrade since I want to get a 4K TV first that requires a new AV receiver.

Going back to the PS5, if I plugged it into the TV and then plugged an AV receiver without HDMI 2.1 into the TV for audio would I still get the benefits of HDMI 2.1 on the PS5?

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED EVO Review (OLED65G1)
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Astell&Kern launches the SE180 portable player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney picks up Sony's cinema releases post Netflix in US
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett