AV receiver for newbie speaker setup

Meliewx

Novice Member
Afternoon all.

After my old soundbar died the other evening I've been looking around at what I'd like to replace it with and tempted to go for a speaker setup.

The Q Acoustics 3000 5.1 at Peter Tyson seems to be a good price, and ideally I just wanted a little assistance in confirming what AV receiver would work alongside as I'm still learning all the terminology and speaker setups are new to me.

I had looked at this receiver as it seemed to be the cheapest one that does what I need it to. I think (hence me asking those here more knowledgeable) - Pioneer VSX-534 5.2 Channel AV Receiver

In terms of use case scenario. I watch primarily media through Kodi, Plex or Emby. I have a 4k Hisense (U7A) which doesn't have eARC, but again I'm still a little unsure of what that is vs ARC. I watch my media through a Nvidia Shield 2017. There's only a PS4 and Nintendo Switch other than that, so I believe the receiver has what I need to pass the Shield and such through to the TV and supports Atmos and DTS:X so I assume I will be good for the media files that contain these.

Does everything seem compatible? I'm not looking for the best of the best as this will be my first speaker setup, but I figured it may be better than a similarly priced soundbar that wouldn't have as many speakers etc.

The two together came to £719 I think it was so you have an idea of budget.

Thanks in advance

gibbsy

Buy cheap, pay twice. You would be better of with either the Denon X1600 or preferably the Denon X2600. Both those models have a superior room correction system onboard with Audyssey XT over Pioneer's rather poor inhouse calibration. For your first receiver Denons are simplicity itself to set up. Also Pioneer have gone downhill since being taken over by Onkyo certainly in model firmware upgrades.

Meliewx

Novice Member
Buy cheap, pay twice. You would be better of with either the Denon X1600 or preferably the Denon X2600. Both those models have a superior room correction system onboard with Audyssey XT over Pioneer's rather poor inhouse calibration. For your first receiver Denons are simplicity itself to set up. Also Pioneer have gone downhill since being taken over by Onkyo certainly in model firmware upgrades.

Appreciate it. I'd been thinking the same realistically. Thanks for the heads up on models. I'll take a look at both mentioned

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom