Question AV receiver for monitor audio speakers

meakinsl

Standard Member
Hi,

I am fairly new to all things av and had some great help so far, now looking at next part of a brand new home theatre setup and wandered if making a mistake. Current plan is to have monitor audio silver 200s as front speakers, silver c 150 as centre speaker and use Bronze AMS | Dolby Atmos® Enabled | Monitor Audio as surrounds where red splodges are in diagram below, on a beam that is 2.5m up. as they naturally angle down they should direct sound to the MLP as have no good spot for the surrounds otherwise (seems excellent suggestion from this forum). Was then looking at using some ceiling speakers where the blue splodges were to give me a 5.1.2 sort of setup (the ceiling on the top left slopes so left speaker would be angled at MLP whereas the right one will be straight down). Will also have a subwoofer somewhere on front - probably an SVS model based on suggestions on this forum.

speakers.png

Atmos speaker as surround speaker which will be at rear angling down:

download.jpg

Been looking at the the Sony STR-DN1080 av receiver with following setup:

SonySetup.png

Seems the STR-DN1080 receiver is very good value and gets good reviews but will it do the speakers which cost a bomb justice or should I be looking at a model say from Denon ?

Also in the Sony setup above Atmos not really mentioned, if I play some atmos content with the config set to 5.1.2 will it be using the top speaker as atmos speakers ? Must confess bit confused by difference between this 5.1.2 config and an atmos config and also the ceiling speakers (C265-FX | In-Ceiling Speakers | Monitor Audio) whether they should be in dipole or bipole mode.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated

Lawrence

Lawrence

dion 6

Hi,

I am fairly new to all things av and had some great help so far, now looking at next part of a brand new home theatre setup and wandered if making a mistake. Current plan is to have monitor audio silver 200s as front speakers, silver c 150 as centre speaker and use Bronze AMS | Dolby Atmos® Enabled | Monitor Audio as surrounds where red splodges are in diagram below, on a beam that is 2.5m up. as they naturally angle down they should direct sound to the MLP as have no good spot for the surrounds otherwise (seems excellent suggestion from this forum). Was then looking at using some ceiling speakers where the blue splodges were to give me a 5.1.2 sort of setup (the ceiling on the top left slopes so left speaker would be angled at MLP whereas the right one will be straight down). Will also have a subwoofer somewhere on front - probably an SVS model based on suggestions on this forum.

View attachment 1422011

Atmos speaker as surround speaker which will be at rear angling down:

View attachment 1422012

Been looking at the the Sony STR-DN1080 av receiver with following setup:

View attachment 1422013

Seems the STR-DN1080 receiver is very good value and gets good reviews but will it do the speakers which cost a bomb justice or should I be looking at a model say from Denon ?

Also in the Sony setup above Atmos not really mentioned, if I play some atmos content with the config set to 5.1.2 will it be using the top speaker as atmos speakers ? Must confess bit confused by difference between this 5.1.2 config and an atmos config and also the ceiling speakers (C265-FX | In-Ceiling Speakers | Monitor Audio) whether they should be in dipole or bipole mode.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated

Lawrence

Lawrence
I've got a Sony 1080 and if you set the speaker configuration to TM as it should be you get atmos with no problems but not DTS:X its a well known bug with the Sony avr so I would go with a Denon

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
The Sony 1080 is 2017 model so you would be crazy to buy it for that price.. Now is worst time to buy anything as the prices haven´t come down one bit! Wait until January sales if you can. Denon X2700H or Yamaha RX-V6A should be good options unless you can afford X3700H. More new models coming next year from Sony, Onkyo, Pioneer etc.

SVS SB2000 range and Arendal 1961 1S good options if you looking something compact sized. If you want more rumble and more physical feel with latest blockbuster movies consider also SVS PC2000 cylinder which doesn´t take much floorspace and can be thrown in front corner with a plant on top of it if wife agrees then..

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom